Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

warning for organic pesticide use on certain tobacco varieties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

I posted this warning to my grow log but I got extremely concerned for my own plants so I feel it is important enough to post to the general forum.

I sprayed my patch for aphids and japanese beetles this morning(just minutes ago) using Ecosmart organic insecticide

http://ecosmart.com/products/lawn-insect-killer.htm

(active ingredient is Phenethyl Propionate,the rest is plant oils such as thyme oil ,etc),white bottle from Menards. I have just been spraying the tips where the aphids congregate and usually the next day I see dead aphids on the lower leaves.
Up until now I have had no problem.
I started on the west most row which in my patch is shady this time of the morning and today is cooler and much less humid than yesterday...Colombian Garcia followed by Perique ,-....These two varieties did not like this spray at all. Within minutes I noticed the affected leaves I sprayed were turning black as if I had sprayed brush/weed killer on them,some of the spray dripped onto some of the lower mature leaves and they are showing same dark spots as if i had thrown acid on them. I quickly plucked those leaves and tips and now have the sprinkler going to wash it off. I wont buy that stuff ever again.
I'm keeping a sharp eye on the affected plants to see if there are any more leaves are turning color .
So far no other varieties I have are showing any sign of distress .
Edit...Little Sweet Orinoko ,Criollo Ti 1376 and Jalapa also had some leaves affected...pulled those off, still watering to wash it off...I'm not happy about this product at all. Already posted a complaint to their website .

Status
Not open for further replies.