Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed Pod Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchiang

I found these little buggers coming out of seed pods. Can any one identify them? What can one do to prevent them?
tobacco seed pod beetle_reduced.jpg
The picture shows some dead bugs and seed pods with holes that the bugs bore through.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's usually budworms doing the deed. The bugs in the photo look like flea beetles. Just prior to bagging your blossom head, give it a misting of permethrin.

Bob

dchiang

Thank you Bob. I will do that next time.

The bugs look like flea beetles but they don't jump and they are easy to catch.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob I need to ask you where you baying your "permethrin" and if you can give a link to a seller of the product.
permethrin is a thing that is ok to take in to a EU country.
But there is also a problem, I can not use it without getting an approval. So I (and alot of other people here on FTT) must found it and contact the one how tell what and how we will and can Use a product in different countries..

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You can make your own by steeping chrysanthemum flowers in hot water. Plenty of people on eBay sell the flowers. Plenty of recipes are on the Internet. Just make sure you buy the correct variety. I gave up trying to buy straight pyrethrum. It seems to be always mixed with other chemicals. I did buy pure pyrethrum powder years ago from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply in California. Not sure if they sell it anymore.

By the way. I believe that industry uses two terms. "Pyrethrum" is a synthetic version of pyrethrin . Peaceful Valley does sell a pure (5% concentration) pyrethrin liquid

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.