Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

tobacco plant going to flower

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringanator

OK guys I have one tobacco Plant about 3 feet tall and noticed today the flower top already starting...I will top this plant. My question is there environmental factors that cause a plant to go into early flower. No other plant seem to have a flower bud yet. Also will this short plant grow taller after topping or just bulk up current leaves??

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
They stretch and bulk usually. Dunno why they do that (flower while still a dwarf), could be stress, genes or combination.

I am not a scientist but selecting for wanted traits worked for the old times so I just follow their example and ensure nothing flowers that has traits I don't like, even if it wasn't genetics that caused it in the first place.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Could be the type of tobacco , Some flower shorter than others . Some tall ,some short .
It will grow taller before you have to top it . Then the leaves that are there will grow bigger . Tall does not equal better tobacco . I have hand short tobacco with bigger better leaves than my taller tobacco . The growing season has a big impact on leaf size and quality .
What type is it ?

ringanator

It a Canadian virgina seed from one of my largest plants last year. It weird because none of the other plants from the same seed is going into flower. The mother the seed came from was the only one I let flower and there are no other tobacco in the area for x pollination.

ChinaVoodoo

I think we're seeing odd behaviour because of the rain. Temperature fluctuations. Irregular daylight hours. Big shifts in temperature.

I've topped two Costello Negro plants, myself. However, I've chosen to let one high forming sucker grow on them, and they're already functioning as new stalks.

buck

Same here , plants are about two feet tall and budding already, the way its going probably top them end of next week. Leaves look good and are large so can't complain about that.
Plant won't grow much taller after topping if at all but leaves will get larger. I keep the tops leave closest to the bud and just snap off the bud at the base.
Those top leaves are small but get really sticky and thick, makes good ligero filler.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I would not worry if it was only a few plants flowering early .Ground compaction , Cold , or hit a rock may make them root bound and flower early .
I have had big fields where some plants would flower to early , while the rest grew out normal .

ChinaVoodoo

Same here , plants are about two feet tall and budding already, the way its going probably top them end of next week. Leaves look good and are large so can't complain about that.
Plant won't grow much taller after topping if at all but leaves will get larger. I keep the tops leave closest to the bud and just snap off the bud at the base.
Those top leaves are small but get really sticky and thick, makes good ligero filler.

Buck, you can get more height and more leaves if you let a single sucker near the top continue to grow and become a new stalk.

buck

Ringanator I believe has only one plant going to flower, all of mine are going to flower, but I only have a dozen. Anyway I have another thread on this so won't comment further here but yes I plan to let a single sucker grow from the top.

ringanator

Your right China it must be this year's wacky rainy weather noticed a couple more Canadian Virginia going to flower now as well. Planed to top all the Canadian virginal anyway as I have a ton of seed from that type. Going to let a del gold flower this year as I need to replenish my seed stock of that type. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.