Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Old tobacco photos: barns, fields, history, equipment etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrapper

I found these photos whilst dredging the interweb for 'baccy related items. Boston area in the 1920's, from the Virginia Chamber of Commerce archive.

vcc_002362_006.jpg

Another definition of wrapper leaf?

1896__320x240_11_0185_001.jpg

Perhaps members can add to the collection of interesting relevant items!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Question is do you like the filler or the wrapper best?And hum... The wrapper shall be the most expensive ones? Don't think so in this case...

wrapper

06b4ec5dfa7fd6c9b55e9e7d8e9fef8a.jpg

The long history of tobacco production in Southern Africa was started by the Portuguese bringing seed from Brazil to (what is now) Mozambique. It was introduced to the Cape by the Dutch, but was also widely produced in East Africa.

wrapper

Original_Cape_tobacco_shed,_Kleinplasie_Open_Air_Agricultural_Museum_and_Show_Grounds,_Worcester.jpg

A good example of a Cape Dutch tobacco curing barn. There are no windows and the doors are made of slatted bamboo to promote air circulation. This one dates from around 1800 and was dismantled in the Swartland area and rebuilt at the Agricultural Museum in Worcester, just down the road from where I live.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I could fill this thread with hundreds of old bacca photos..

You should look at a old thread i created "" the old picture "" thread..i filled it with old local equipment and stick barns. In different stages of decay.

Perhaps someone can post a link..

wrapper

I could fill this thread with hundreds of old bacca photos..

You should look at a old thread i created "" the old picture "" thread..i filled it with old local equipment and stick barns. In different stages of decay.

Perhaps someone can post a link..

How do I find the link? I would love to look at it all...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
View attachment 18355

A good example of a Cape Dutch tobacco curing barn. There are no windows and the doors are made of slatted bamboo to promote air circulation. This one dates from around 1800 and was dismantled in the Swartland area and rebuilt at the Agricultural Museum in Worcester, just down the road from where I live.

What building material is used for the walls? Hard to tell from the photos but looks like rock or mud brick?

wrapper

What building material is used for the walls? Hard to tell from the photos but looks like rock or mud brick?

The foundations are usually un-mortared river boulders, no damp course, then walls of either unbaked mud bricks or mud and straw. Walls can be up to a metre thick, and plastered with mud and lime. The paint finish is unslaked lime mixed in drums with fat or oil; this get really hot as it "works", and is applied inside and out with the outer coat being repeated annually or every few years as necessary. Once you start painting with a lime wash you can never migrate to a modern paint as it will never stick to the porous, flaky lime. The lime, for better or worse!, allows the walls to breathe. Lintels and roof timbers are of local hardwood, poplar or gum, and the roofs of local thatch. Interior floors were usually either packed and polished cow dung, Batavian red cobble blocks, clay or even peach stones. In residential situations more affluent owners would fit suspended yellow wood floors. The result is durable and well insulated, but requires constant maintenance. The architectural design and execution of these buildings was developed by Dutch settlers from the late 1600's onwards and is referred to as "Cape Dutch".

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The foundations are usually un-mortared river boulders, no damp course, then walls of either unbaked mud bricks or mud and straw. Walls can be up to a metre thick, and plastered with mud and lime. The paint finish is unslaked lime mixed in drums with fat or oil; this get really hot as it "works", and is applied inside and out with the outer coat being repeated annually or every few years as necessary. Once you start painting with a lime wash you can never migrate to a modern paint as it will never stick to the porous, flaky lime. The lime, for better or worse!, allows the walls to breathe. Lintels and roof timbers are of local hardwood, poplar or gum, and the roofs of local thatch. Interior floors were usually either packed and polished cow dung, Batavian red cobble blocks, clay or even peach stones. In residential situations more affluent owners would fit suspended yellow wood floors. The result is durable and well insulated, but requires constant maintenance. The architectural design and execution of these buildings was developed by Dutch settlers from the late 1600's onwards and is referred to as "Cape Dutch".

I love old construction and especially like to see old construction using local materials from different countries. I always wanted to learn how to thatch a roof for some reason. Many of our pioneers mixed lime with the soil and tamped it down for the floor. It seemed to dry very hard. I have a very old book on tamped earth construction where the walls are made of soil, lime, maybe some straw and tamped in place in forms. I've also seen hay bales stacked up for walls and covered in mud and lime mixture for hot dry areas. The hay made great insulation inside the walls.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Once i get my bacca barn built.allthough the walls will be made of plywood.my plants are to stack and motor river/flint rocks to the walls..just like they do bricks to a modern day building.

Status
Not open for further replies.