Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rolling for a buddy's wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
So word got out that I started rolling cigars. And if you look at my post history and whatnot, you KNOW I'm SUCH a newcomer. Big time. I love rolling, it's been an absolute joy. I've learned so much from you all. And what I've learned is mostly that there is SO MUCH MORE I need to learn to start scratching the surface.

So. I'm finally a groomsmen at a wedding (I'm a wedding photographer, sooo yeah) and my buddy asked me to roll some cigars for people during the reception. Is there certain steps in the prep work I should consider to get things ready to try this out for an event? I know I'll need to probably get everything cut ahead of time and the right amount of hydration....which I still really don't know. Ha I still haven't quite seen a good beginning to end ordeal to say "okay, you got your leaves, do this for this long. Now cut. Now roll. Now smoke."

Any tips/advice is always humbly accepted. I'm sure it's out there, and I searched a lot. Even in these forums. There's so much content I'm at a loss to knowing where to look and trust. I have lots of leaves and stuff and even ordered more, just ready and willing to get after it.

Thanks so MUCH in advance!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yikes! You've bitten off quite an assignment.

Non-cigar people at the event won't care. Cigar people will expect tobacconist quality impromptu rolling. If you can't wiggle out of this gracefully (http://cigarcatering.com/cigar-rollers-chicago/ ), then here's my rundown:

I'm going to assume that you have a chaveta. Be sure it's sharpened.
You'll need a tuck cutter or a large guillotine cigar cutter to trim the foot.
Prepare your cigar glue the night before, and store it in a closed jar.
Make sure you will have a table of a suitable height (and with enough working room for your materials) at the event and a suitable chair.
Bring your own cutting board to do the rolling.
If you're going to do a triple cap, then bring the cap cutter.

If you're fast, you may be able to roll one cigar from ready leaf in about 5 to 10 minutes. So, for a 2 hour reception, you could roll maybe 2 dozen cigars. Plan for 3 or 4 dozen (no bathroom breaks).

If your leaf is currently in unopened poly-nylon bags from WLT, then the filler is likely in ideal case for rolling. This should require no advance prep, other than deciding how large the cigars will be, and what single blend you will make. [Go mild, rather than strong.] Small coronas will need maybe two whole leaves of filler; toros or larger, maybe four.

For demo rolling, using a double binder will reduce the likelihood of bursting a cigar while rolling it. [For a double binder, stem a sturdy leaf in medium case (nice and flexible), then lay both halves one on top of the other, to roll in the same direction as the wrapper. Roll the filler in both binders simultaneously. This also makes a firmer feeling cigar, which is helpful when you hand out a cigar that hasn't had days or weeks to settle down.] You can prep these the night before, by stemming, and very lightly misting if needed, then sealing them in a gallon Zip-lock overnight.

Night before: Wrapper will likely need to be in higher case than the way it comes from WLT. Using a spray bottle of water (non-chlorinated), lightly mist each leaf a couple of times on each surface. Set them aside until all have been misted, then stem the leaves. For your production line, separate the left and right wrapper leaves into different piles, then fold each neatly, and seal them all in a gallon Zip-lock overnight. At the event, the wrappers should be in high case (not wet), be fully stretchy and ready to go. (Bring along your misting bottle, for unexpectedly low humidity.)

If I were doing this, I would leave all the remaining steps for their "performance" value at the event. Take your sweet time with each cigar. The value to the guests is in watching you, rather than getting a cigar. Take your time. Go slowly.

Good luck. Post pictures afterwards.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Just a few hard "honest answer" questions to ask yourself-
How is your rolling ???
How are your tools?
Do you have a proper looking /proper sized rolling station? Not just a wiggly card table.
Are you comfortable doing this for a crowd on the spot?
How long will you going to be rolling for the guests ? Set a time limit. Maybe the hour during the cocktail portion and an hour after the dinner.

You do not want to miss your buddys wedding.

Heres a quote you MUST tell at the wedding . Maybe even print it out and set it up at the front of your table.
[FONT=&amp]
"Happiness?
A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle. -George Burns"[/FONT]

In fact I'm sure you've thought of this already but make a handful to supply the wedding party and present this as a gift to the (bride and ) groom during the toast or at the rehearsal dinner even. I rolled some for one of my work buddys wedding last summer. He knew I was into the hobby already. He and his new wife were incredibly grateful to the handmade gift item . I even made up special cigar bands with their names and the wedding date .

Have your wrappers prepared so they are in the correct case (wrapped in moist towels ,in plastic bags)before you show up.
Cap glue prepared as well.
Plan on only one or two blends (mild and medium ), one or two different varieties of wrappers. Keep it simple.
Have a few sticks finished wrapped and ready to smoke, and a few (like 10-20 of each blend)bound and/or in molds before you get there ,so all you'd need to do is remove them from the mold to wrap them for show and they can be enjoyed soon after.
It'd maybe speed things up since bunching and molding can eat up an hour fast. You'll be busy working and no one will get any.
Save the "full showmanship"of bunching and binding and wrapping for when there is a lull in the action , and there are still binder only sticks that you brought,so keep using those that are ready and replenish as you roll during the night. That way you're not waiting for those to be turned and then wrapped. You'll always have a few people at a wedding that need to go out for fresh air or to smoke . Be at your station for this. You might want to have a tip jar handy and any tips you get ,you split with the bride and groom. Or at least 10% of the tips go to the B&G.
Oh a couple more things. Go buy a few cheap cutters to set out- since they're only a couple bucks apiece. If guests don't expect a cigar roller to be there, they probably won't bring a cutter either.
Keep ONE cutter with you AT ALL TIMES,no borrowing . YOU cut the caps for the guests . Theres always the one guy who likes to stick his uncut cigar in his mouth to cold taste it and then wants to cut it with a borrowed cutter. Bad cigar etiquette and bad hygiene. These guys are known as "new owners of a slightly used cutter".
other than that...
Relax ,keep a whiskey within arms reach and have fun. Wheres and whens the wedding? Tell your bud and his new bride congratulations from all of us at FTT.

Chris A

We have a traditional rolling session on Pole Day at the Indy 500. We get people stopping by every year just to watch. I always bunch the cigars in advance, and everyone takes a turn wrapping their own. Works for us. Easier when you're in the stands not to do everything at once. Perhaps you could demonstrate how to bunch a few, but have lots of smokes pre bunched for quick wrapping.

waikikigun

1. Completely pre-roll a couple dozen cigars which you lay out for people to pick up and smoke while they watch you.

2. Pre-bunch a few dozen as far ahead of time as possible: shoot for three weeks. Roll and seal these in newspaper. Most of what you do at the "show" will be wrapping these bunches. If you can learn to case your wrapper so it's not moist but still stretchy and ready to roll, then you can wrap these pre-done bunches and they'll be good to smoke a few minutes later, when the glue dries. This way if you suss out that the dude in front of you wants to smoke one of your fresh-rolls he'll be able to do that.

3. Bunch a few so people don't talk about how "You're just another one of those dudes who just wrapped at the show but never demo'd bunching." Just gradually fill up your mold on the side. But wrap from the pre-bunched newspaper-rolled ones which you've already checked for draw and feel.

4. Have fun!

Hahaha I love you guys. Thank you for your input. Everyone has seen me try to roll and do my thing, so pretty much everyone at the wedding even knows how beginner status I am. There's like no pressure at all on me to put anything out further than something to look at. He asked me like a week ago, and the wedding is this weekend. I've been busy getting it all organized and blended some to get the mix down. I'll prepack the fillers in bunches to keep it the same size for each cigar. Should be hilarious. Don't tell anyone but I also sometime infuse scotch in em a bit. That's another experience in itself that I've loved doing. Had one today and I was all sorts of giddy.

Again, I can't thank you all enough. I humbly appreciate and will use your valuable info for the weekend. Cheers!

MarcL

Nice! This sounds great! It's nice reading your doing this. I look forward to see at least a picture. If you would. Have fun!

Smokin Harley

Looks great and you had fun doing it...reason I ask is the other night my wife and I went to our local rum and tequila distillery for some cocktails and the owner remembered I had given him some cigars I infused with his coffee infused rum. He said right away "those were awesome" and repeatedly that "we need to talk" and ended the evenings conversation with not only supplying him with more of the same but a possible rolling demonstration as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.