Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First grow in many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Mosquitos are attracted to the co2 in vehicle exhaust. If you're by chance, working near a tractor, be sure to turn it off. I put an 8 foot expandable pipe on my work truck exhaust and it makes a huge difference. One time I took a fan and taped a rag over the outlet, and put it by the exhaust. I probably collected half a pint of mosquotes in 4 hours-none of which will ever bite me.

Brown Thumb

Mosquitos are attracted to the co2 in vehicle exhaust. If you're by chance, working near a tractor, be sure to turn it off. I put an 8 foot expandable pipe on my work truck exhaust and it makes a huge difference. One time I took a fan and taped a rag over the outlet, and put it by the exhaust. I probably collected half a pint of mosquotes in 4 hours-none of which will ever bite me.
I never heard that before, interesting. But like me if you smell bad enough they will all stay away.:p

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Muskol is like 100% Deet. They still swarm me
DEET is simply the most effective mosquito repellent. Using more than about 40% DEET is not more effective, but its effect will last longer. (Children should use 25% DEET.)

Mosquitoes locate a critter to bite by following the trail of CO[sub]2[/sub] from their breathing. Once they get close enough, they use the smell of skin to find a spot to bite. DEET attempts to mask the yummy smell of warm flesh with the "wrong" smell for mosquitoes, so they are less likely to land.

If DEET doesn't work for you, then avoid going out at dusk, and wear long clothing and a hat.

For a fixed location, like on a porch, running an oscillating fan (usually on a faster setting) will make it impossible for mosquitoes to navigate. They weigh too little, and have very flimsy wings, so they can't fly in an intentional direction if the wind is greater than about 5 mph. This works like a charm, if you're just sitting around. I have a box fan that I lean at an angle against my porch railing, blowing directly at me. On high, this totally prevents mosquitoes from biting me. The problem with this is that once the temp falls below about 72ºF, I find the fan to be too chilling.

Bob

Cigar

Deluxstogie have terrible story about the "off woods" my wife bought me today..well after seeing how the tobacco is being attacked by flea bettles this afternoon I went outside the spray-down plants with soap/water mix read on here how to solve problem..but before did sprayed the off-wood on my arms..neck..only exposed body-parts about half-way spraying tobacco plants my hands/arms/neck started burning like someone had poured acid on me..then white-blistres started to form on parts sprayed with that stuff!!..I of course jumped in our swimming pool..after few minutes the pain went away..but know my wife is cursing me for jumping in pool with "dangerus chemicals on me" Hehe dang I cant win for losing on growing these few tobacco plants!!

cigar

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well, it sounds like the "off-woods" worked. You didn't get bit by any bugs did you?
Seriously, Glad you are ok
I highly recommend smoking! The cloud of smoke keeps most insects away.
Also, wear a wide brimmed hat. Most (not all) insects will gravitate to the highest point on a person. If you have a wide brimmed hat on they will mostly buzz around the rim.

Cigar

I am fine..thank you jitterbugdude..guess since never used that stuff had kinda short term reaction to it.but have always heard smoking any kind does keep all insects away.like said before am never really bothered by them until this year.but not to idea keeps me out of garden just huge bother..I went back wearing real clothes [my overalls/boots/shirt] know dont seem to bother me like when tried the causal wearing [shorts/sanddels] so lesson learned give them as little to bite as possible also the fan idea dexluestioge mentioned works great for patio/porch idea!!

Cigar

I think they should call my neighborhood "The land of Insects" we seem have ALL this year bad..mosquitoes..flea bettles..white flies..now squash bugs every were.just another summer in middle TN!!

Cigar

Cigar

Is anyone else catching the meter showers last few nights??..I just saw the biggest one every seen about hour ago..WOW! it was soo big and traveled the entire sky line unlike the few 1-2 second ones you most likely see..have seen several of those short ones too. This huge one was traveling northeast from here..maybe making bee-line towards Deluxiestoige tobacco farm?? {hehe}

Cigar

Cigar

I know its not likely but maybe someone could help me with the type of tobacco plant here..I lost the tag when first planted it and for life of me cant remember the type??unknown.jpg

Cigar

That I do remember! there were only 5 types I sowed this year: Crillio98,fla sumtra,African Red,Java {Beskui} and Bolivan crillio .

Cigar

Cigar

14086403_291738031195569_2905737885126847140_o.jpgHello old friend were you been?? This is my crillio98 plant {top} half..the bottom half already picked..just cant get the top-half to mature..its like the rest of leaves just stopped maturing??

Cigar

Ben Brand

Your tobacco looks nice, well done. Mine is at the very small seedling stage now, about 6 weeks since sowing. growing 300 fillers 100x Conn broadleaf, 100x little dutch, 100x long red not myself, a comercial farmer is doing it for me, wrappers (myself) 30x Conn broadleaf, 30x AST, 30x Bezuki and some Swar hibch??? just to see how they do. Good luck on the grow

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...only 5 types I sowed this year: Crillio98,fla sumtra,African Red,Java {Beskui} and Bolivan crillio .
My Besuki leaf was a mottled light yellow-green color. African Red will produce a deep red blossom. Bolivian Criollo Black is a huge plant (but you're growing it in a pot, so who knows.) My Criollo showed more acute leaf tips than those shown in your photo. I'll guess FL Sumatra, or maybe Criollo 98.

Bob

Cigar

I was thinking same thing deluxestoige about being a criollo 98 or maybe the FL Sumatra..reason being it dont look nothing like the Af red growing now,and I have grown Besuki twice before and from what pictures have seen of the Bolivian Criollo dont compare at all!! Thanks for your advice on the matter.. have you ever grown Hb2000 before?

Cigar

Cigar

wow you are moving up in the tobacco world Ben!! a commercial farmer for hire!! that would be sooo awsome to be able to "hire" someone with the good land and know-how to grow my own tobacco love your choice of tobacco very nice. oh what is "AST" growing yourself?

Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.