Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

iFokkema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabel

Hello everyone,

My name is Isabel and I come from the Netherlands.
The first time I ever learned something about tobacco was in Cuba, Pinar del Río.
Never knew back then that I would work within the tobacco industry as I am now.
Reading about tobacco growing and actually growing tobacco with AEdeVries is adding to my knowledge.
We grow some tobacco from Indonesia (Besuki), Timor Leste and from the Netherlands (Amerongen).
Furthermore, we grow some tropical fruits (durian, mango, lychee, salak).

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I think durian fruit is. Very smelly..

is that a pic of u in ur profile pic

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I have already spoken with you but welcome (again). It would be interesting to see your tropic grow!It's very big thing you growing.

Isabel

Durian is often called the "King of Fruits" with which I fully agree as it has a very delicant taste. It is a spiky heavy fruit and the smell of a durian is indeed overwhelming. Most people find this disgusting whereas a lot of people in Asian countries can appreciate the smell. The appreciation for the smell comes once you enjoy eating durian, I think. Throughout the years, while living in Malaysia and Indonesia, I really started to love eating durian. You cannot compare it to any other fruit, whatsoever. To me the taste of the flesh is a very creamy particular one. Especially the aftertaste, it is like sweet onions and it stays there for a long while. This may not sound appetizing at all but it really is. It takes many years before a Durian tree grows fruits but still it would be nice to see the way it grows from a seed.

DSC_0285.jpg DSC_0186.jpg DSC_0057.jpg
The above are pictures of the germination of Durian seeds.

DSC_0034.jpg DSC_0359.jpg DSC_0060.jpg
Above you see three photo's of Salak with the flesh and seeds, the germination, and the small plant as they are now. Salak or "snake-fruit" has a skin that looks like the skin of a snake, therefore the name. The taste is a little acidic but mostly sweet. They grow in bunches on a short stemmed palm. One fruit usually contains 3 seeds. We collected a lot of seeds and they germinated quite easy. From the many germinated seeds we have selected 6 salak plants which are growing very well. From other grow blogs I learned that it takes around 3 to 4 years before it fruits.

Smokin Harley

welcome to FTT.
What are the other common names of that fruit(the yellow spiky deflated football looking one)
I think my wife and I saw something very similar while we were in Jamaica. If I'm not mistaken they make juice out of this? Supposedly it is extremely high in antioxidants....unless I'm thinking of something completely different. Looks the same though.

Isabel

I think durian fruit is. Very smelly..

is that a pic of u in ur profile pic

Yes that is me in my profile picture. This was in Pinar del Rio, Cuba.

welcome to FTT.
What are the other common names of that fruit(the yellow spiky deflated football looking one)
I think my wife and I saw something very similar while we were in Jamaica. If I'm not mistaken they make juice out of this? Supposedly it is extremely high in antioxidants....unless I'm thinking of something completely different. Looks the same though.

I don't believe there are more common names for that fruit. Maybe stink fruit? Could be that you and your wife drank juice from Jackfruit? Or Sirsak? I am curious what it could be.
We mixed Durian with milk, really tasty! Also very delicious is durain cheesecake!

Okay, enough with the durain now.

Smokin Harley

it was Jackfruit ! They had it in a chilled dispenser at the breakfast buffet . It was tasty ,sweet and refreshing and I believe would have made a great cocktail mixed with rum...

Tutu

That does sound like a great coctail! The nangka (jackfruit) wouldn't be a problem here, just the rum....

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes that is me in my profile picture. This was in Pinar del Rio, Cuba.

I don't believe there are more common names for that fruit. Maybe stink fruit? Could be that you and your wife drank juice from Jackfruit? Or Sirsak? I am curious what it could be.
We mixed Durian with milk, really tasty! Also very delicious is durain cheesecake!

Okay, enough with the durain now.
Nope not yet:
Its a member in the family of "Malvaceae" . Durio is the name I known. When my sister was a seaman she worked with a man how took those and should make a drink with them, think he still have his bar and sell drink's with it. But I ain't shore..

-so keep on with your blog. You (and your"crime partner") will for shore be interesting to follow in her!

Isabel

it was Jackfruit ! They had it in a chilled dispenser at the breakfast buffet . It was tasty ,sweet and refreshing and I believe would have made a great cocktail mixed with rum...

Ah yes, Jackfruit is really nice!! The season for Jackfruit has almost started here. Just like they bake banana here in flour (pisang goreng) it is really nice to that with Jackfruit as well. For sure the juice goes well with rum!

she worked with a man how took those and should make a drink with them, think he still have his bar and sell drink's with it. But I ain't shore..

That is something you should find out!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Nope not yet:
Its a member in the family of "Malvaceae" . Durio is the name I known. When my sister was a seaman she worked with a man how took those and should make a drink with them, think he still have his bar and sell drink's with it. But I ain't shore..

-so keep on with your blog. You (and your"crime partner") will for shore be interesting to follow in her!

That is something you should find out!
I Google his name and didn't found him, called my sister and she told me hi chance his name when he got married but she gave me a phone number.
When I talked with him he told me he was closed his business five years ago. It's only bring money in summer time..
But it was not a drink he had it to put taste in spite and then he had it in drinks.. Just like you can do with some herbs (just put it in a bottle with sprite). "people often like to see the bottles stand behind the disk."

Yes he told me there are alot of different types of "Durio" but only one that don't have a "import forbidden" in to EU-countries. So its hard to get it.. And that's also nice to tell people about.. Make everything much more interesting..

Isabel

Interesting story! However, I believe it is not forbidden to import in European countries.
This article states that France is the largest European importer of fresh and frozen Durian.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That vas interesting I was only tell what he told me. But I google the name "Durio" and found out that his story ain't true. It's tell that it's at lest 30 known species of the genus, of which at least nine produce edible fruits, and of these there are hundreds of different varieties.
But I also found something that could tell what he means; only "Durio zibethinus" exports around the world's, the other only sells in their growing countries. But I also found that it's a old myth about toxic if you combinate Alcohol and Durio..
Part of the myths seems true:
The University of Tsukuba (Japan) think that the impact is due to the fruit's high sulphur concentration impairs the breakdown of alcohol. Tests showed that the durianextrakt inhibited the degradation process of the toxins in the body by up to 70 per cent (I put in a Swedish link on this):
http://alltommat.se/stinkande-frukt-kan-vara-dodlig/

-Sorry that I didn't check this up before, didn't realize that it was necessary..
The funny thing in this is that I have a
Mushrooms growing in my garden. It is edible if you don't driker alcohol, then the liver can stop working and you have to go quickly to the doctor.. So with irony, I can say do not drink
Alkohol and Durio and don't drink and eat mushrooms that I give you!

Tutu

Exporting the fruit is one thing, but getting the seeds somewhere in a viable state is another. They lose viability extremely fast! I've read on a forum there are people in the States as well as on Madagascar who are growing Durian trees. Originally they are from Indonesian and Malaysian rainforest. Probably from Borneo as the island has many different varieties. They've become particularly popular in Thailand as well. And it's a myth that they are forbidden in Singapore. You often hear people say that, but they don't have a clue. Rather, they are forbidden in many hotels, and so is manggis (mangosteen). But they are sold widely around some Singapore areas and people love them! So do I!

Status
Not open for further replies.