Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

plants growing nicely - whats next ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karasara

the plants are growing nicely now after transplanting, but i'm wondering whats next to do/watch out for ? :)

Attachments

• baccy21-07-16a.jpg
    baccy21-07-16a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 7
  • baccy21-07-16b.jpg
    baccy21-07-16b.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 6

karasara

ok, the suckers i understand - topping ?

also i want to be able to get seeds so should i assign a couple of the plants for seed purposes ?

Alpine

Not much... Enjoy looking them grow, give a little water if needed and pull off suckers. Once they start blooming, top them all (unless you want to keep one for seeds). From the pictures, they seem to be N. tabacum, but the flower color will tell for sure
Pier

Smokin Harley

correct fertilization(6-6-18 is tobacco fertilizer) or at least close to those numbers.
pest control- aphids, japanese beetles and hornworms.
keep the ground around them weed free as much as possible.
Suckers- these are the small shoots that come out from the base of the leaves,different than topping.
Topping is removing the flower stalks to encourage leaf size .
However, if you plan on saving pure seed- allow one plant to flower but put a bug bag (5 gallon paint strainers,paint section of local home improvement center)over it before it blooms ,secure the bottom of the bag with string to the stalk so no pollinating insects can get in and possibly cross pollinate.
Lay awake at night listening to the tobacco grow- yes it grows that fast.
check back to FTT every hour on the hour with pictures .

karasara

i guess i need to "top" them ? do i literally cut off the flower head ?
04-05-16a.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would wait until an actual blossom appears. (It takes about 2 days after its appearance for a blossom to finally open.) This will allow the stem to gain considerably more height, and become less floppy. At that stage, simply grasp the stem above the last usable leaf, and snap it off.

Bob

buck

Any issue with topping the plant before it even flowers ? What effect will that have on the next steps such as priming ? Would it make determining when to prime more difficult , usually rule of thumb is to do your first priming 1 week after you top.

<edit>

That's just what I read and of course priming you determine by the leaf texture and color change as well

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You can top a plant at any stage and at any leaf count. Topping will accelerate maturation of the remaining leaves.

Bob

buck

I usually just top the plants soon after the buds surface and there is enough length to easily snap them off. My take from this is that topping of the plant will put more energy into growing bigger leaves and from what bob said accelerate maturation of the leaf. In a small grow like mine the drawback of more sucker growth is
negligible. In my case does it really matter when I top, correct ? I have a few plants I am letting flower before topping to see what difference it makes if any.

Smokin Harley

I would say depending on when you planted them and how long your season is ...as long as you have lets say 16-20 decent sized leaves per plant you should be good to top them any time thereafter. I let my shade plants go without topping ,except for those that topped themselves while i was winding them around the support strings. The one plant in CT Shade I have has hit 8 ft and started bending his neck after he hit his head on the shade structure...impressive.

karasara

i'll take some photos tomorrow but theyve started flowering about 3ft high, but they look decent

Status
Not open for further replies.