Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fermenting before stem drying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cigar

Thanks Bob for that answer..reason asking two parts first its my first "real" try at the fermentation process this year am since I have only few leaves [+-] 100 of three types grew this year just give it a go.also am using an old way to fermenting "A huge cooler w/light bub and rack" and have the leaves in a small closed plastic rubbermaid the temp so far stays between 118F-125F its been 7 days now and only had to take-out this morning to re-hydrate in morning dew am surpised how temp stays that same with just 40watt regular light bulb. If this turns-out ok then next year will build a better thing and grow ALOT more tobacco!! fingers crossed The reason would like to de-stem and flatten leaves so they will fit alot better in plastic container instead cramping the whole leaves?

Cigar

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In the past, when all I had was a tiny kiln, I would stem the leaf, stack it neatly, then press it gently. I would then fold the pressed stack, and place it into an open Ziplock, in which it would be kilned for a month. That was a lot of bother, but the snug packets of leaf kilned well. All it needs is the temp, some humidity, and some time.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've fermented many a leaf that I had stripped off the still moist stem. I've also fermented leaf that I stripped and then shredded. Turns out just like fermented whole leaf.

Cigar

That is great to hear Jitterbug you have and bob have done this before [de-stemed] before kilned..but my main reason was to get them "stacked" and better shape for my little rectangle box for my cooler-kiln..my leaf was totally color-cured stem and all its been 7-days now and only think noticed alot is the darker-red color than before..still waiting on those smells have read about on here but now no smeel but like heated-leaf but at 120F what do I exspect!! hehe

Smokin Harley

An experienced grower in a Facebook group I'm in suggested to someone a method that is altogether different from what I've heard discussed in the forum.

He said once colour curing is done, raise the temperature to 99F, maintaining 70% humidity, for two weeks, then raise the temperature one degree a day until you're at 129F. Hold that until the aroma of ammonia is gone, then raise it to 130F to stop the fermentation.

I'm fascinated because I've never observed ammonia production strong enough to smell in my kiln despite hearing reports that commercial cigar barns are full of it. It sounds like he's doing something right. It makes sense that the enzymatic action would be the most active at this time because much of the water and vasculature of the leaf is still relatively intact, no?
I have no idea. I've never smelled ammonia out of my leaf or kiln either. BUT, my sense of smell has been ruined for many years.

Gavroche

Pier you've the Chat du Cheshire ? your wife is Alice ?...The smell of ammonia water is going to disappear but not the cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.