Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What to do with plants affected by "PVY" (Potatoe Virus Y) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charly

Hi everyone,

I am new to growing tobacco, this is the first time I try (thanks to Gavroche who gave me my first seeds).
I grow tobacco in France (like Gavroche).

Everything went fine so far, until two days ago, when I realized that some of my "Cherry Red" plants seem to be significantly less healthy as the others ...
After some research (if I am right), they seem to be affected by the "Potatoe Virus Y" (necrosis of some veins of some leaves, mosaïc appearence, some leaves are curling...)

I am lost... What should I do ?
- 1 : should I remove those ill plants ? and burn them ?
- 2 : should I remove the ill leaves ? or should I take the leaves to color cure them ? (can ill leaves become smokable ? with good flavors ?)
- 3 : should I let the plants alone and see what they will do ?

What should I do with the plants around them ? should I harvest them now, before they can be ill ? (only one of my cherry red has open his first flower, I don't know if they are mature yet...)

Thank you for any advice,
Charles.

Smokin Harley

let me try to answer all that but lets work backwards...if the plant is flowering it is maturing. You can top that plant (remove the flower down below a few small tip leaves) and the rest of the leaves should mature and gain nicotine. Try bending a (bottom) leaf down at the stalk end and if it snaps off the stalk easily ,its ready to prime. If you find one leaf on the way up the stalk that bends without snapping off, its not ready yet and you'll need to wait a few days and go again at that time.
The virus stricken leaves- I'm going to guess the virus that attacks the plant will not harm humans but I have no idea how those would cure. And if you were to leave those plants go , the virus could possibly spread to other plants or other hosts(potato,tomato and become soil borne ,possibly overwintering to affect following seasons)
Are you certain it is a virus and not simply a pest (insect) or even some sort of deficiency possibly causing the effects you see? I'm afraid if it is a virus I would (sadly) trash the plants affected by burning and keep a close watch on the rest. wear disposable gloves/clothes while pulling these and wash your clothing before moving on to touching the non-affected plants. You might just have a plant or few that are genetically susceptible to that particular virus and the rest are resistant. That happens. IF you have plants that do not exhibit any viral symptoms (seemingly resistant) ,I would actually consider saving seed from those and replant those again another season.
Can you post a few pictures of what you are seeing? Maybe there are some here that have seen this and can better refer you to a solution. Good luck .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
PVY on your tobacco is likely transmitted to it by aphids. Without aphids, it will not spread to neighboring plants.

If you are growing only a small total number of tobacco plants, then I would suggest you simply remove the affected leaves (and destroy them), and keep the plant. Observe closely for further signs on those plants.

If you are growing a large total number of plants, then removing and destroying the affected plant is the safest approach, though possibly unnecessary.

If potatoes are growing nearby, that is your likely source. Regardless, I would suggest purchasing an insecticide that is safe for vegetables and effective against aphids, and treating your plants with it.

Although PVY is clearly passed from an infected potato when it is used as a seed potato, tobacco seed will not transmit the virus from an infected tobacco plant.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob I really like you answer here, almost every one gets Panic, some times it's ain't half as bad as it looks like.Good luck Charly!!

Charly

Hi everybody,

Thank you for your answers and your kind words, I feel much better now :)

@Smokin Harley : I will try to get seeds from some resistant plants (for next year), I will remove the flowers of the affected one (when they will show up)

@Bob : I (almost) follow your advices :)
As I only grow a few plants, I decided to let the affected plants where they are, and watch how they will evolve.
I harvested some leaves on the bottom of those affected plants, they are color curing in an isolated place... we will see... (I don't know if it is a good idea... do you think I am wrong ? should I put them in the trash ?)
There are not many aphids in my garden this year... only a few running on some leaves, I don't know if I really need to use some insecticide...

@Gavroche : merci pour ta sollicitude, je vais faire ce qu'il faut pour que la récolte soit aussi bonne que possible :)

@Wrapper : the link you wrote is the one I found that help me identify the virus, and it is sadly very common in France :(

Here are some pictures of one of my cherry red affected by the PVY (if I am right...)

cherry_red_pvy_01.jpg

On the left, the infected plant, on the right a normal plant...

cherry_red_pvy_02.jpg

Necrosis of veins and leaf curling

cherry_red_pvy_03.jpg

Mosaïc coloration ?

cherry_red_pvy_04.jpg

Necrosis on some veins

cherry_red_pvy_05.jpg

Top leaves curling

Good night (it's time to go to bed in France)
Charles.

Status
Not open for further replies.