Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Leaves lost their green after topping

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Plants (bucket grow) started to lose their green colour shortly after topping and are now a light green. The ones planted in the soil are a dark green as desired.
I don't think that the topping caused this but rather a lack of nutrients, the last time I fertilized was when I first planted them.
In the next few days I'll start my first priming and just wondering if there is anything that I should do about this or if this fading will result in inferior tobacco ?

<edit> Added pics

IMG_20160728_202524.jpgIMG_20160728_202605.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that at this point, the bucket plants are what they are. If you fertilize now, they will green up, but may be difficult to color cure. I would just prime them as they mature, and see what you get.

Bob

buck

Color curing tuned out well, the leaves are lighter in color than most others from the same seed though.
Looking at all my cured leaves I have different color variations among leaves. Some are dark brown, some light brown, some brown with tint of green.
They are all hung in the same shed under identical conditions so anyone know what accounts for the different shades ?

<edit> and from the same seed.

Smokin Harley

I would not fertilize after topping ,at that point the priming would be coming in (at least) 2 weeks and instead of furthering the apical(sp) growth , your goal is to get the plants to get closer to maturation. When I notice a color change ,thats my queue to start priming.
If the color change was more back towards the plants first month of active growth, I would be looking at fertilizing.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I don't know if you are growing for smokeless or not, but if you are feel free to fertilize again.

Status
Not open for further replies.