Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Want to trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! That article is even older than me.

I found this statement in the article most interesting:
Topping has a major influence on building up nicotine, and, from
records over a 5-year period, it was found that topped plants had, on an
average, an absolute increase of about 2.5 percent alkaloid as compared
with bagged ones. An increase of 2 percent would be a conservative
estimate of the effect of topping
I had never seen actual numbers for this effect. Unfortunately, it's not clear whether it was an increase of 2.5% points above the bagged measurement (e.g. 3% in bagged implied 5.5% in topped), or was 1.025 times the bagged value (e.g. 3% in bagged implied 3.075% in topped).

Bob

ArizonaDave

I had never seen actual numbers for this effect. Unfortunately, it's not clear whether it was an increase of 2.5% points above the bagged measurement (e.g. 3% in bagged implied 5.5% in topped), or was 1.025 times the bagged value (e.g. 3% in bagged implied 3.075% in topped).

Bob

That's very interesting!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That ain't possible Bob. It's you and the Mammoth's..

Bob
Yes I see your point on that Bob and I can't tell it ether..

I have some other PDF files that shows no reason to topping Backcrossed variants don't find it now but that is also some interesting things to know..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Your second number seems more right to me deluxe. I mean for darks that already list 7% an increase of that much might take it to fatal levels. Of coarse maybe when they list those numbers it's already in topped plants so you'd need to divide to get down to the untopped levels. Might also explain Jessica's analysis of untopped rustica all yielding around 1-5% but anecdotal numbers ranging from 9%+

I think we all appreciate a milligram or three though at the end of the day:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The article's authors use the word "absolute" when expressing the increase. My guess (only a guess) is that the measured percent nicotine increased by 2 or 2.5. The nicotine numbers reported in GRIN observations are wildly inaccurate (and often conflicting, when analysis was performed by multiple labs).

Bob

Dannyray

Cactidan
That sucks. Sorry I still want to get a pic on here. I do see mutations in the plant . seeds seeds are forming on one of the plants and some blossoms have dropped on the other. I will try to get my f1 seeds to lead to my f2 and so on . I only have a fewer hundred Sam Padros to trade for different cigarette type tobacco seeds. I know its cacti it is all I have . lol and f2 seeds if I can get some others to grow them out

Status
Not open for further replies.