Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Amersfoort in Indonesia 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutu

How are those now? The ones who had the funny shaped leafs? New leafs are also funny-shaped or are they looking any better? I believe some plants are able to recover, and some are not. For me 2 out of 3 turned out fine. The one with funny shaped, I topped it, and some of the leafs actually look really nice after curing

Leftynick

I just let it grow and the new leaves are still funny looking, but bigger. I also tried curing it and turn out to be okay color wise. Haven't tried smoking them yet. out of 10 plant, only 4 are giving me a normal looking leaves. I have tried topping them, and let sucker growth but the sucker also giving me a same funny looking leaves. I will let them grow as to add my quantity of leaves I can harvest.

Tutu

Since my last update I have harvested all of the Amersfoort leaf, and most of it has been sun-cured. I crossed the Amersfoort with neighbouring Kasturi, which I believe is Kasturi Tinggi. The first picture below was taken on the 4th of November. Both Amersfoort (the two on the right) and Kasturi (left) still had leaf. The miss-shaped Amersfoort is not in this picture. I took that plant out on the 27th to see if indeed it had root problems. Although the root structure is not too big, I couldn't identify a real issue either. It was the same size as the Amersfoort plant on the far right in the first picture. I took that plant out as well. The remaining Amersfoort and the Kasturi were left in their containers for suckers to develop. I intend to find out how the soca perform of the varieties that I grow. On the 30th of November the Kasturi had a few leafs remaining in the top and the Amersfoort had none left. The leafs you see in picture #3 are second growth. The three pictures that follow were taken today, on which you can see how I have trimmed the main stem to have the plant produce some new leafs. The Kasturi leafs don't seem particularly nice. The Amersfoort second growth leafs (coming from three different suckers) are nice and they seem to have fewer white spots as the original leafs on the plant. I'm interested to see how they cure. If they remain un-spotted I might dark air cure them, depending on the size they reach.

DSC_0436.jpg
DSC_0691.jpg
DSC_0710.jpg
DSC_0762.jpg
DSC_0766.jpg
DSC_0767.jpg

Tutu

When I left Jember the 19th of December I had harvested all the larger second grow leafs from both the Amersfoort and the Kasturi. The only proof I can give of that is in the first pictures, where I've laid all the leafs on the table. Thinking about it, I should have taken the same picture after I came back from the same angle with the dried leaf. I was in too much of a hurry. Some leaf had been hit by some mold, I have to transplant some smaller plants, need to empty seed buds, and at the same time I need to be at work. I'm leaving again for the Philippines in a few days time. Anyway, I came back to the leafs on the table, and many of them were cured quite alright. Some are definitely too green. The leafs look slightly different than the original leafs from the plant. To be honest, the Kasturi second growth looks horrible, but the Amersfoort second growth doesn't look too bad. Some of them got a nice brown colour. The plants have not stopped growing since I was away. It's difficult to call the number of different growths so I'm calling it all second growth. The leafs are getting smaller and smaller. Too bad that a few Kasturi flowers have opened up just before I came back. All Amersfoort flowers that are currently open will be discarded. Those which have already formed buds will be added to the seed collection as the Kasturi flowers are fresh and can not have cross-fertilised them. Before leaving to the Philippines I will again harvest the leaf, cut off the flower head and see what happens. The idea is now, to make an Amersfoort Tobacco Tree.

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
They do look like specimen trees. I don't know the theoretical lifespan of a tobacco plant in a tropical/sub-tropical environment. Should be interesting.

Bob

Tutu

It's down to one, because I'm pretty sure that the Kasturi also obtained the TMV virus from Papaya's Little Friend. I've stripped the remaining Amersfoort of all its leaves and flowers and trimmed it a bit. The only thing that's left is the stem. Let's see if anything grows out of it. On the one hand it looks a bit sad this way but just before stripping it, it didn't look like it would die soon. I am very curious what will happen, let's find out!

DSC_0283.jpg

Charly

Very interesting ! I wonder how they will continue to grow and how (and where) they will make new leaves :)

Leftynick

Now I am sure that the weird leaves plant I have is infected with TMV spread by aphids and mealybug.

Tutu

You are quite right there Lefty. Your issue immediately sprang to my mind when realising this. I have seen TMV previously in Bahia, but it has been a while since I was there. For me, getting rid of the plants and containers with TMV infested is the only way to avoid any risk. You may have to think about what you plan on doing to deal with our issue...

Tutu

Amersfoort pretty much starved to death. For those interested in seeing what the cured leaf looks like, here is an image. The second image is Kasturi, cured. Tomorrow I will insert the two bundles of leaf into fermentation piles. I'll probably put them in large, 8 ton (kilos) piles. Let's see what they look like after fermenting for a few weeks/months. Not too sure how it ends up, especially since these are mostly sun cured. We'll have a look at the result later on. I am aware of the fact that the Amersfoort leafs do not look very appealing with all the cercospora. I think this is because the plant has adapted to the Dutch climate and had trouble dealing with the Indonesian one. On the other hand, Kasturi suffered the same problem, in a lesser degree, but it is from around here. Maybe it was only because of the amount of rain. The smell isn't too bad though, especially that of Kasturi. By the way, this is Kasturi Tinggi.

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.