Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plants tipping over and stalk curving

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

In the last few days I started noticing that a couple of my plants are starting to lean over and the stem is starting to curve especially on the one that is not topped yet and budding.
Anyone experience this ? There hasn't been a storm or high winds or anything.

I'm thinking maybe that I haven't watered deeply enough and roots have not made their way deep enough and the weight of the leaves is tilting the plants over.
As for the stem curving , this I have no idea why, I thought at fist it was lack of water but I've been watering more often.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If your plant tips over at an angle the plant will still want to grow straight upwards. This will cause a very pronounced curve. The moist common reason for plants tipping over is usually heavy rains followed by heavy winds. Tobacco is very resistant to dry conditions so I do not think your problem is lack of water. You would see significant wilting if that was the case.

Pics would definitely be helpful.

ChinaVoodoo

I've had this in my tallest/heaviest plants as well as in the yenidge. I blame wind and rain. No worries. A few stakes with twist ties solve the problem.

Smokin Harley

stake those up immediately . This year we have had a few late night storms that resulted in blown down stalks an before the sun even came up , they were starting to curve upwards. They'll be fine . Just pick them up and stake asap.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If by "tipping over" you mean that the lower stalk is vertical (and has remained vertical), but the upper end of the stalk is flopping over, then I've seen that before in a number of different varieties under various conditions. I don't really know the cause. I used to believe it was a trait of specific varieties, but I've discarded that notion as a result of inconsistent repeat grows.

It may be nutritional, but I'm not confident of that explanation either, since it occurrs in the absence of Frenching. My latest suspicion is that this drooping of the upper stalk may be caused by pathogens within the stalk, though I have not found any direct evidence of this.

I have found no remedy, but it does not seem to directly affect the quality of the tip leaf.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

I find that they nearly always fall over to the south. Probably because they choose to live 53.5deg N, but are constantly dreaming of moving to Puerto Rico.

buck

No wind storms or storms of any kind to cause them to lean over. After closer inspection I did notice some holes in the earth next to the base of the stalk and I suspect some critter , rat maybe chewed on the roots so I packed some earth around the base see how that goes.
But I can't explain the one in the picture below. I had staked that one down when it first started to lean over.

IMG_20160809_140000.jpg

buck

I don't use chems at all and I don't think my neighbor does either. It's the only plant that looks like this , the other have just a slight curve at the stock.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Inspect the entire length of the stalk for a pinhole, which might indicate a wireworm. After harvest, pull up the entire plant. Inspect the roots for root knot nematodes, and split the entire length of the stalk to look for pathology.

Bob

buck

I pulled out some of the other plants and they were very easy to pull/roots were pretty short and didn't go very deep on those. Add to that the digging by the rats near the roots, explains why the plants starting leaning over.
I'll inspect that strange curvy growing plant once I'm done priming.

ringanator

I found that if my plants get a lot of water through out the grow season I get very short unsupported roots...if it a dry season I need a bulldozer to pull the plants lol

Status
Not open for further replies.