Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Great old cigar roller

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrapper

I chanced upon this nice old Lieberman type roller today in a local antique shop. So I bought it for the local equivalent of $350 (which I hope is not too much).

It is manoeuvred by a foot operated treadle and seems to work very smoothly. The original canvas is torn and brittle so I will have to replace it: with what - leather, canvas, silicone...?

There is no makers mark on the machine so I wonder if any members can shed any light on who might have made it or used it, and its age. There does not seem to be much that Mr Google can do to help...

Cigar roller 1.jpgCigar roller 2.jpgCigar roller 3.jpgCigar roller 4.jpg

I will be cleaning and fixing it as needed but will not over restore it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That's pretty sweet, I'd say the price was right, it's already been around for a hundred years, after you refurb the mat and give it a good cleaning there is no reason it won't go for another hundred. In that ball park I'd rather buy one from bigbonner, but vintage is always cool too. Ask bigbonner what material he uses for the mat, he can probably steer you in the right direction.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. All the joints in the frame are mortise and tenon, and the platen is sculpted wood. It may have been one-off custom made. It's a treasure.

Bob

MarcL

That is really so very nice! As is, I would value that at $2100.00 US.

You'll want a material that will not stretch, thin as possible and, is impervious to moisture.

The Dannemann cigar factory in the Brazilian province of Bahia is the only place I've noticed them being used.
Here is an example video.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm still looking for better material for my roller, but what has worked so far, and well, are some free cuttings from the light proof roll down blinds that I got from home depot.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Top Gun is the marine grade fabric I use .

zMXXWVW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.