Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kiwi Couple Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, Kiwi2019. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. There are a number of threads that explain, in agonizing detail, all the foibles of tobacco importation into NZ.

Click the banner advertisement at the top of the page for leaf purchases.

Bob

Orson Carte

Importing whole-leaf (ie. 'unprocessed') tobacco is easy. It just takes time. (About six weeks from go to whoa).
The Government has been threatening to make changes to the whole legality but it's still relatively simple as of right now.
However, there's a few things to know -
1. Yes, it's totally legal and free of duty - so long as you're importing 'whole leaf' (not stuff that has been partially processed and not still on the stem).
2. Despite hearing figures like 'ten pounds', if you buy more than 8 pounds at a time you are very likely to invite difficulties. It's a bit unclear just to what the threshold is for Customs to declare a consignment to be a 'commercial quantity' but if they do they'll want excise duty from you at over NZ$1000/kg. What is certain, however, is that once the totalcost of an order exceeds NZ$400 (including freight) you will have to pay Import Duty.
I order in eight pound lots. At the current exchange rate this costs around NZ$360 keeps me safely inside the $400 threshold.
3. Don't order anything other than tobacco in the parcel if you don't want to pay extra costs. This is because when they heat treat the package (and it's declared on the label to be anything other than solely tobacco) they will separate the items and charge you an additional courier fee to deliver it.
4. You will almost certainly get hit with an extra $45 Treatment fee. This is what makes the process 'take time'. They really stuff around. The parcel only takes a week to reach NZ but usually six weeks pass before it drops on to your doorstep.

So, really, all this aside, the process is that 'simple'. Just go ahead and order with confidence. You'll need to buy a decent shredder - that's all.
You should find that, once you have de-stemmed and shredded the leaf it will have cost you about NZ$140 a kilogram. Loose tobacco (bought in a 50g pack) at the store would cost you around $1800, so the imported wholeleaf is about a twelfth the price. (I get mine down to at least a fifteenth of the price because I don't waste the stem).

There's lots to this whole matter, and I don't want to confuse things, but although what Riverstone has said about being allowed to only grow 15kg of dried leaf for personal use is true, I don't know just what limits are applied to imported wholeleaf. As far as I know, provided it is imported in 'small' quantities (not subject to Duty) I think it is quite lawful to possess and use, but not sell, any quantity.

Kiwi2019

Importing whole-leaf (ie. 'unprocessed') tobacco is easy. It just takes time. (About six weeks from go to whoa).
The Government has been threatening to make changes to the whole legality but it's still relatively simple as of right now.
However, there's a few things to know -
1. Yes, it's totally legal and free of duty - so long as you're importing 'whole leaf' (not stuff that has been partially processed and not still on the stem).
2. Despite hearing figures like 'ten pounds', if you buy more than 8 pounds at a time you are very likely to invite difficulties. It's a bit unclear just to what the threshold is for Customs to declare a consignment to be a 'commercial quantity' but if they do they'll want excise duty from you at over NZ$1000/kg. What is certain, however, is that once the totalcost of an order exceeds NZ$400 (including freight) you will have to pay Import Duty.
I order in eight pound lots. At the current exchange rate this costs around NZ$360 keeps me safely inside the $400 threshold.
3. Don't order anything other than tobacco in the parcel if you don't want to pay extra costs. This is because when they heat treat the package (and it's declared on the label to be anything other than solely tobacco) they will separate the items and charge you an additional courier fee to deliver it.
4. You will almost certainly get hit with an extra $45 Treatment fee. This is what makes the process 'take time'. They really stuff around. The parcel only takes a week to reach NZ but usually six weeks pass before it drops on to your doorstep.

So, really, all this aside, the process is that 'simple'. Just go ahead and order with confidence. You'll need to buy a decent shredder - that's all.
You should find that, once you have de-stemmed and shredded the leaf it will have cost you about NZ$140 a kilogram. Loose tobacco (bought in a 50g pack) at the store would cost you around $1800, so the imported wholeleaf is about a twelfth the price. (I get mine down to at least a fifteenth of the price because I don't waste the stem).

There's lots to this whole matter, and I don't want to confuse things, but although what Riverstone has said about being allowed to only grow 15kg of dried leaf for personal use is true, I don't know just what limits are applied to imported wholeleaf. As far as I know, provided it is imported in 'small' quantities (not subject to Duty) I think it is quite lawful to possess and use, but not sell, any quantity.
Thank you I will definitely be importing when I get home!

Wayn3

Hello Glen and Bernadette,
I'm in Tauranga ,I've got 5 pounds at MPI being heat treated now. I bought seeds from here, http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm
...and the unprocessed tobacco from wholeleaftobacco site. They both took about 6 days for delivery.
MPI sends a letter & an extra page from "Flick - Anticimex", including their bank details, asking for $45 for heat treatment. Then thru internet banking I sent them the money, then sent a email to let them know the money has been paid. But that $45 goes to Flick - Anticimex not MPI. Sent email was to Flick & they replied within a day.

If you get seeds going, a great idea, be certain to buy Blitzem & put it around even small seedlings if they are outside. And I went & got "Yates Success" spray for army & green caterpillars & maybe other things.

Expected delivery from buying the unprocessed whole leaf to front door including heat treatment is 4-6 weeks. So a long time at Flick... I understand the idea, why grow it when buying is so cheap. I sort of agree & are buying quality from WLT site. But I'm growing my own, first season this year. If growing really need to grow more than one needs for various reasons. Might get it wrong & goes mouldy I heard on a from one Kiwi, throws out 50%. Another Kiwi is smoking 3 year old tobacco, so I figure thats a good idea... I've decided African Red is a good choice... but have other varieties sprouted... :)

stic

I grew my own last year. First time growing tobacco, or anything actually...

Only had 10 plants (Virginia Gold seed), took approx 3 months for plants to be fully grown (approx 8 foot tall).

Dried leaf by hanging in my garage. Started harvesting leaves approx early January, and just running out now...

In the Manawatu, and about to start this years crop, putting in 30 odd plants this year.

20180124_204216 (Custom).jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, stic. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

It looks like you've started out well.

Bob

Kiwi2019

Is that webpage to buy tobacco shower in pounds? Flue Cured Virginia DOUBLE Bright Leaf Unmanufactured tobacco is that 1 pound?
Thanks

Orson Carte

Is that webpage to buy tobacco shower in pounds? Flue Cured Virginia DOUBLE Bright Leaf Unmanufactured tobacco is that 1 pound?
Thanks
Which webpage are you referring to? Do you mean 'shown' in pounds? If it is an American website it probably will be in pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.