Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kiwi Couple Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwicouple

Hey everyone - great site!

We have a few questions for fellow kiwi tobacco smokers.

We have made enquiries and apparently it is legal to import tobacco leaf unprocessed into NZ?

Now, if this is so how much (if anyone here knows) are we allowed to import?

What are the charges if any around importing WLT?

We are told that a lot gets sent to NZ with no problem and that customs heat treated upon arrival and that it is completely legal to order and import the leaf...

Can anyone here please advise on the process, charges etc etc around this as it will save us a small fortune considering the ongoing price hike around tobacco in NZ..

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and we look forward to all/any feedback and comments.

Regards

Glenn & Bernadette

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Find seeds and prepare garden bed ASAP, aren't you almost coming into your growing season? If it's as bad as I've read down there than with a little delayed gratification you can have your flue cure built by the time it's needed and be up to your eyes in tobacco by the end of the season.

Everything you need is right here and free to use. Find the seeds and hit the ground running.

Have fun:)

riverstone

Glenn
Go to Ministry of Primary Industries (used to be M.A.F) web site and check on importing plant material and also NZ Customs about importing loose leaf or raw tobacco.
The bottom line is you can only grow and process 15 kg of tobacco for your own use. I take it that the 15 kg is dried and processed. You can only grow it and process on your own property(contains your dwelling); you cannot sell it or even give it away. The b***ers covered all bases and they even want to take that away from us and sign up to some WHO Protocol. That is behind all the changes the US is going through at the moment as well. Worth reading; it is scary.

Kiwicouple

Hey there riverstone - thanks for the info - lets be fair - there is no way in hell they will ever take away our freedom of choice - they can drive the prices up all they like but tobacco is a part of our heritage and no matter what it does to our health some of us (20% of the population here in little old NZ) actually enjoy a good old smoke - be it over a beer or 6 or just because...fair call on the no giveaways and 15kg is great!...means we can age a heap in your first year growing meaning it only gets better right.
Same story with everything, if they try and cut us off it will create rebellion - they are dreaming in my opinion.
I was told today by a leaf supplier in USA that he sends WLT to NZ literally 4 out of 5 working days a week and that most of the orders are 10lb and he went as far as saying it is totally legal to purchase and import WLT into NZ and that there is a small charge for heat treating it when it gets here - now the cost of WLT is unreal compared to what we pay for processed tobacco of the shelf here as you well know - if I can buy WLT and land 10lb in NZ for a few hundred dollars and its been professionally cured why would I grow my own other than for the satisfaction - buying WLT would create savings immediately in our household and if it is legal why isnt it out in the public arena?

I will read the information on MPI's website and NZ customs but Don at Whole Leaf Tobacco swears he sends a lot of product to NZ daily and that it is legal...

I want to know the facts anyway...

Kiwicouple

Find seeds and prepare garden bed ASAP, aren't you almost coming into your growing season? If it's as bad as I've read down there than with a little delayed gratification you can have your flue cure built by the time it's needed and be up to your eyes in tobacco by the end of the season.

Everything you need is right here and free to use. Find the seeds and hit the ground running.

Have fun:)

Hey there - thanks for the welcome - can you direct us to a DIY Flue cure design please

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would suggest you search the forum for "flue curing chamber" or something similar. There are plenty of designs ranging from simple ( you manually adjust the temp and adjust the humidity) to automated ones where you load the tobacco and come back in a few days. You could also search for "Kiln" and modify the plans to allow for the differences in temp/humidity.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey there riverstone - thanks for the info - lets be fair - there is no way in hell they will ever take away our freedom of choice - they can drive the prices up all they like but tobacco is a part of our heritage and no matter what it does to our health some of us (20% of the population here in little old NZ) actually enjoy a good old smoke - be it over a beer or 6 or just because...fair call on the no giveaways and 15kg is great!...means we can age a heap in your first year growing meaning it only gets better right.
Same story with everything, if they try and cut us off it will create rebellion - they are dreaming in my opinion.
I was told today by a leaf supplier in USA that he sends WLT to NZ literally 4 out of 5 working days a week and that most of the orders are 10lb and he went as far as saying it is totally legal to purchase and import WLT into NZ and that there is a small charge for heat treating it when it gets here - now the cost of WLT is unreal compared to what we pay for processed tobacco of the shelf here as you well know - if I can buy WLT and land 10lb in NZ for a few hundred dollars and its been professionally cured why would I grow my own other than for the satisfaction - buying WLT would create savings immediately in our household and if it is legal why isnt it out in the public arena?

I will read the information on MPI's website and NZ customs but Don at Whole Leaf Tobacco swears he sends a lot of product to NZ daily and that it is legal...

I want to know the facts anyway...

FmGrowit (Don), the owner of Fair Trade Tobacco, is the owner (Don) of Whole Leaf Tobacco. He will be glad to help you out with any questions you may have and help answer your customs questions.

Floppy2

There is the same feeling here in the USA also. Gettin' tired of being told what to do, say, feel, eat, don't eat, smoke, drink, feel, believer, right and wrong. I know what is right and wrong and I don't need any politician tellin me otherwise. Grow away Kiwis! Care for yourselves and live free. I am a new tobacco grower myself and can't even begin to tell you how good it feels to do so many things for myself and my men :).

Barb R.

Kiwi2019

Okay I'm moving back home to Dunedin New Zealand and Iv seen the price for (RYO) I just was know know a couple of websites I can get some tobacco leafs from (around a pound) imported to Nathans in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.