Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

this year not even over and thinking of next years grow lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringanator

so next year i think i want to put in some aztec rustica...i dont have any knowlege with this strain all i have hear is that it will make a kick ass good morning blend at 9% nic. anyone else grow this type what has been your experiences did you see god when smoked or kiss porcelain lol

squeezyjohn

I've experimented with rustica types for chew and snus ever since I started growing tobacco. I've never seen god - but it can be very satisfying in a different way to regular tobacco.

What you have to remember is that it is a completely different tobacco species and as such it has very different characteristics across the board. Although it has a reputation for high nicotine I don't reckon it often makes the dizzying heights of 9% as reported - it is a little stronger than most N. Tabacums - but it is as spectrum and some varieties or conditions can end up with a fairly routine nicotine level in the rustica leaf. The other differences are it's height (rarely over 4 ft), the texture of the leaves (normally very thick and rubbery), how it cures (rustica can be very hard to colour cure without keeping some green in there), the way it ripens (basically there are no visual indicators for rustica ripeness like yellowing or alligator pattern), the suckering pattern (if you thought suckering regular tobacco was hard to keep on top of - then rustica will blow your mind!) - and the way it smokes (very hard to keep alight) ... oh yeah and it smells like a wet dog when you're curing it too ... very distinctive smell, I wouldn't hang it in the house!

That said there are many different rustica seed strains out there and I haven't tried them all. Even if it does have the high nicotine content (as advertised) at the end of a grow - it's a very light flavour if you manage to cure it properly which can take several years to get all the green out of it.

I'm persevering with a variety sold to me as 1000 year old tobacco by salt spring seeds. It seems to be a kind of halfway house between N.Rustica and N.Tabacum (but it's flowers show that it really is a rustica) ... it's leaves are less thick, rubbery and glossy, the leaves are also huge for a rustica - it almost yellows at ripeness (but not as much as a regular tobacco), the smell is different (not wet dog - more fruity like a blackcurrant bush), it cures more easily and quickly. And it does have a higher than average nicotine level. The reason I'm persevering is not because I smoke it - but because it makes a great chew and is very prolific ... that said - it still suckers like a bitch! That's after taking suckers off a patch I dealt with yesterday!

Tutu

Squeeze, besides the 1000 year old tobacco, which strains did you grow and smoke. How do they compare? I'm not looking for God, but for something reasonably okay. Rustica's are difficult to get going in my climate. I haven't had a lot of success yet but it seems that Mapacho is definitely going to make it this "season".

squeezyjohn

I don't smoke it, I chew it ... so I can't help you there. In the past I have tried Rustica Mahorka Stalingradskaia which has very big leaves, Mohawk, Olson 68 and 1000 year old tobacco. They are more similar than they are different in taste and smell. They all cure a bit differently to tabacums with less of a yellowing phase. The biggest variations I've had in strength, taste and ripeness has been due to growing conditions and the season. Leaf size and growth habit seems to be more down to the genetics of the particular strain.

Tutu

Thanks for the info. I don't have seeds from any of these strains so for now I'll have to stick with Mapacho, Limonka and Sultan Albanian, although the last two are struggling. Would be nice to get to know a bit more about the different varieties of Rustica. I wonder how many there are. What would be your guess?

Charly

Anton, I only tried to grow Sutan Albanian this year, but the tiny seedlings molded... :(
I will try again next year with both Sultan Albanian and Limonka to see if it can grow :)

We should ask Pier (Alpine) if he succeeded in growing these (he sent the seeds to me).

Tutu

He sent them to me too. I'd love to see photos. I've got very few of them alive right now. Most of them moulded too. They seem to be reacting very different to the weather circumstances than Mapacho. Very similar as Sacred Cornplanter though...

Alpine

9D2AAB91-D2F1-4E36-9DBC-9B603EFE6A6A.jpgSultan and limonka before topping. If you have mold, I suspect too much water...
Sultan on the front, same row in the back is limonka. Your seeds come from properly bagged plants, better than the ones in the picture. Notice yellowing of the leaves well ahead of topping.

pier

Charly

Thanks for the picture Pier :)
I wasn't complaining about the quality of the seeds, you must be right, maybe the yellow rustica types prefer drier conditions ? :)

Did you already smoke some of those ?
How would you describe its flavors ?

P.S. here is you pic in the right rotation :
9D2AAB91-D2F1-4E36-9DBC-9B603EFE6A6A.jpg

Alpine

They both still smell of wet hunting dog, but I haven’t kilned it... maybe kilning will take away the smell, or turn it into something more appealing lol. I tried to smoke in cigarettes, very mild at the moment

pier

and and thanks for the rotation:D

Gavroche

My wife tells me that the mapacho gives me a breath of wet hunting dog which ate an old damaged woodcock!

Ma femme me dit que le mapacho me donne une haleine de chien de chasse mouillé qui a mangé une vieille bécasse avariée !

Charly

My wife tells me that the mapacho gives me a breath of wet hunting dog which ate an old damaged woodcock!

Ma femme me dit que le mapacho me donne une haleine de chien de chasse mouillé qui a mangé une vieille bécasse avariée !

Haha ! :D :D :D

Charly

They both still smell of wet hunting dog, but I haven’t kilned it... maybe kilning will take away the smell, or turn it into something more appealing lol. I tried to smoke in cigarettes, very mild at the moment

"the smell of wet hunting dog" => It's close to the Mapacho I grew last year :)
When they burn, the bottom leaves are quite tasteless, I should try some upper leaves again to see...

I did not kiln it either.
As soon as I will have build a kiln, I will try to put some mapacho in it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This discussion about wet hunting dog has made me envious. My Sacred Cornplanter rustica smelled like cat urine after air curing, like cat urine after 30 days of kilning, and like cat urine after pressing it into Perique for 3 months. What I have not tried is making it into Cavendish, but if that might change it from cat urine to wet hunting dog, then I'll have to try.

Bob

greenmonster714

Llllooolll...now there's a stanky description.

Alpine

Bob, almost all my tobacco smells like used kitty litter the first days of kilning, but it disappears in a couple of weeks. Maybe yellow rusticas are more on the dog side than traditional American strains, who knows? After all, they were developed beyond the iron curtain, no wonder with cats and dogs!
How old is your Cornplanter now? Was it ripe (yellow) when harvested? Is it still unsmokable? Your answers will help me to choose a strategy for my wet dogs... I mean, my rusticas lol

pier

Robncars

I have my first N. Rustica seeds, I have had excellent germination on another variety I believe it's a air fire cured dark fronto. I germinated this variety very successfully on paper towels. They were under a heat lamp and I use an acid fertilizer. I use the potted plants recommended dose for continuous feeding. BUT if you try this method get precision tweezers and a magnifying glass first. I'm going to try this with the Rustica.

Status
Not open for further replies.