Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Using diffent colors of leaf in the same cigar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ackebooa

Hey guys!

Is it customary to build a cigar of leafs cured to the same color? I mean just the wrapper leaf cant give much of the aroma to the cigar so.. Maduro on the outside means maduro on the inside?

Feels like i should know the answer to this by now but so much to digest with the baccy, thats whats make its so interesting :)

Thanks!
Ackebooa

Tutu

I've always preferred to use a wrapper that is more dark than the filler and binder. I always select lighter binder leafs that are not broken, but more light of colour. I feel that in the darker leafs you see less of the imperfections that more light colour leafs do show. Thus the cigar looks better. While minyak (oily dark) in Besuki generally gets leafs in lower grades during sortition, I am a big fan of them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. There is seldom any correlation between the wrapper color and the filler color. Since the final color of cigar leaf depends to a great extent on the stalk position from which it is grown, and cigar blending often depends on lower leaf for improved combustion, mid leaf for the body of the filler, and upper leaf for the potency of the overall blend, there is usually a blend of colors.

Wrapper provides much of the taste (on the tongue) for any cigar, while the aroma depends on the combination of everything that's being burned. The human brain plays tricks when combining taste and smell. So rolling identical cigars that differ only in their wrapper can mysteriously yield completely different smokes.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Welcome to the forum. There is seldom any correlation between the wrapper color and the filler color. Since the final color of cigar leaf depends to a great extent on the stalk position from which it is grown, and cigar blending often depends on lower leaf for improved combustion, mid leaf for the body of the filler, and upper leaf for the potency of the overall blend, there is usually a blend of colors.

Wrapper provides much of the taste (on the tongue) for any cigar, while the aroma depends on the combination of everything that's being burned. The human brain plays tricks when combining taste and smell. So rolling identical cigars that differ only in their wrapper can mysteriously yield completely different smokes.

Bob
absolutely. I do this a lot. make a blend and then play with the wrapper for a subtle difference. the tip of the tongue (look at a "map" of the tongue and where different tastes occur, sweet is on the tip ) gets the wrapper taste while the rest of the mouth gets the smoke taste ,nicotine absorption and aromas through the nose upon retrohale.
My first (WLT)wrapper choice has been the Ecuador Maduro followed close second by Corojo and then Ct Shade but I think the Honduran leaf may have passed the Ct Shade on 3rd place choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.