Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Besuki

Re: Besuki

I came up with the idea of having farmers sun-cure their Besuki bottom leafs that they usually throw away.
    Results are coming in now and it's looking quite nice.
    Some examples:

It's beautiful. I hadn't thought of sun-curing my Besuki.

Bob

I love Bezuki wrapper. Contemplating on only planting Bezuki as a wrapper next season!!!
    "Its a state of mind"

Ben, one of the two letters I sent you about a year ago turned up back at my place, written on it that it was never picked up from the post office in SA...

Yes the post office notified me that they`ve send it back. Never notified me that the letter was here for collection. That`s living in Africa. Thanks anyway for your trouble.
    "Its a state of mind"

That's a shame indeed. Things aren't much different around here in Indonesia. Am going to make another attempt at sending it though

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
    I came up with the idea of having farmers sun-cure their Besuki bottom leafs that they usually throw away.
    Results are coming in now and it's looking quite nice.
    Some examples:

So they are selling this experimental leaves or they use it for themselves? If I am the farmer, I would never throw away these leaves. If no one buy them, I just smoke them for myself. Or shred them and sell them at locally at lower price. At least I gain some than none. Looking at those, it can easily be my few years of supply.

Tutu,
    I'm curious from looking at the photo of sun-curing Besuki. When it rains, do they just leave it there, or do they take it indoors, then replace it all?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Leftynick View Post
    So they are selling this experimental leaves or they use it for themselves? If I am the farmer, I would never throw away these leaves. If no one buy them, I just smoke them for myself. Or shred them and sell them at locally at lower price. At least I gain some than none. Looking at those, it can easily be my few years of supply.
    I'm buying those leafs. Farmers usually do plant a few Kasturi plants for their own personal use. The reason why they usually throw away the leafs is the following. They set the price they can potentially earn with those leafs against a computation of their average leaf cost. These costs are usually the costs of stringing tobacco, hanging it in a barn, getting it down and making hands. With large volumes they need workers and they need to pay their workers. They generally know how much it costs them per kg of tobacco. When they hear the price they get paid for sun curing the bottom leafs, they'll think it's not worth it. I'm telling them to look at it in another way. There's hardly any additional costs when you harvest these sun-cure leafs at the same time when you're taking your first dark-air-cured priming from the field. Don't string them, sun-cure them, don't bundle them, and we will pick them up. Prices of sun-cured are (relatively) skyrocketing at the moment in East Java so there's a margin to be made for them. Some of them are finding out right now. I've also had one farmer who is harvesting his cipril for sun-cured (the very top leafs). They sun-cure much darker, but because they weigh more than bottom leafs, I think there's still a margin in it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Tutu,
    I'm curious from looking at the photo of sun-curing Besuki. When it rains, do they just leave it there, or do they take it indoors, then replace it all?

Bob
    I've not seen any rain for the past two months so at the moment there's no need to adjust to it. But when there is, they take it inside their house or curing barn. Some of them string the sun-curing leafs on little bamboo sticks (the Kasturi way of sun-curing) so it's easier to handle more leafs at the same time. If they do bring it inside, they'll put them back out the next morning when the sun is out.

Thanks for trying again. Much appreciated.
    "Its a state of mind"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234