Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My harvesting, drying and fermenting (any tips?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Goglu

IMG_0041.jpgIMG_0039.jpgIMG_0035.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0029.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm from Saguenay (north of Québec), Canada

Built that "mini kiln" with a fridge, using a water heater thermostat, 2 - 50 watts halogen bulbs and a glass pan of water. I'm still trying to fit a small fan inside before i use it.

1- My running test gave me the 120°f and 70% humidity needed (are these the right settings?).

I just harvested the 15, 2 weeks older, plants in pots that began to turn yellow and were'nt growing anymore to test my whole settings...

2- The whole harvest won't fit in the mini kiln in 1 shot, how should i store the dryed leaves for the "kiln waiting queue"?

3- Once it's fermented, what's the best way to keep the tobacco packed, but ready to smoke later?

Any other tips, reffering to my pictures?

Thank you

God bless

Kenny

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
120f is fine. Don't get stuck on maintaining that exact temperature though. Anything between 115 to 125 will do fine. I don't measure humidity. If the leaf is soft it is fine. I leave my leaves hanging in the barn until space becomes available in the kiln. If you don't have room just make bundles for your tobacco and store them somewhere. Let them dry out (not crispy) some. Better to be too dry than too damp. Too damp will invite mold.

Once kilned I store mine in big plastic tubs. It is a real learning experience to know what moisture level is good. Check a few days to make sure mold is not growing.

Keep in ind you don't have to kiln tobacco. You can let it age naturally for a year or two.

Good luck!

Le Goglu

I'm also asking few questions about flavoring...

Can i do an aromatic fermentation or it has to be after, ex. adding whiskey in the water pan...?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
letting them leaves dry where you got them.. '' pretty much open to the elements'' your asking for mold.... theyd do better in a closet. or basement. or spare bedroom... anywhere exept where you got them

if you closed those walls in you'd be fine. but your '' naked right now '' and that aint good,

Le Goglu

I moved the whole thing in my small hanger, with a fan blowing on the ceiling just to keep air circulation, ... the sun on the rooftop makes it warm during the day, here we're around 15-20 on this season, with a lot of rain...

Thanks for the advice!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I moved the whole thing in my small hanger, with a fan blowing on the ceiling just to keep air circulation, ... the sun on the rooftop makes it warm during the day, here we're around 15-20 on this season, with a lot of rain...

Thanks for the advice!

rain is your worst enemy when trying to dry leaf,,,a little moisture the get them soft once they brown up,, is o.k. then cook it off them,, [ that helps in the curing process] but steady moisture isnt good,

do you have a hygrometer, in your curing area to measure the humidity ?

Le Goglu

No hygrometer in the curing barn, i'll set one as soon as i find one, the only one i found is fitted in the kiln.

Still looks to dry good... Green leaves turned yellow and are now slowly turning brown.

Sent a test batch in the kiln now.

Status
Not open for further replies.