Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Winds from Tropical Storm Hermine [31 Aug 2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Keep your eyes peeled, if you're in this path.

Hermine_wind.JPG

Bob

CaryNC

The news here said to expect 30-40mph winds, along with some 50mph+ gusts. I'm a stones throw from the SC border so I have some time to prepare.

Looks like I will be tying tobacco plants as high as possible on the stake tomorrow.
There might be a few losses because the stakes are about 5' above ground and some of the plants are much taller than that. Some are 4' higher :(

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the things coming right over my head....this is why i have 4' stakes and tie all my plants down.... tommorrow ill reinforce my greenhouse, and put extra dirt around the base of my corn plants... they are about 1' tall right now,

i just hope the power dont go out... i need my fans to stay running in the curing barn but i got a kerosene heater to fire up, to keep the humidity down if it does go out,

florida is ready and prepared...

got a couple 5 gallon jugs filled with drinking water,,,,and plenty of canned food,

it'll be just another day in paradise,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
pretty windy right now...its coming to hit land 80 miles from me. right now theres a outer band going right over my town...

i'll be up all night on what we call '' tree watch '' got the rain suit out. and new batteries in the flashlight,

they aint bad when they come over during the day....but at night you cant see nothing,,, you just listen for trees or limbs popping...

Floppy2

Looks like CT will get the rain it really needs. We are so dry my husband installed a cistern that holds 350 gallons of rain water for the garden we have and for...things like this. Glad he got the generator worked on. All my plants are on..goodness what year! Heading over to WEATHERBELL.COM for more information.

bjr

Last edited:

CaryNC

....but at night you cant see nothing,,, you just listen for trees or limbs popping...

When I lived in FL and a hurricane went through, I heard in the distance what I thought were a couple trees breaking all at once. Woke the next day to find half of the neighbors roof had lifted up, broke in half, and laid back down on the other half of their roof.

With the loud volume of wind and rain, I could not tell where the sound was coming from at the time. It can be a little disorienting.

Status
Not open for further replies.