Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Manoque flue cure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavroche

Hello

In my chamber of hardening, flue cured my refrigerator of reform.
May I put the tobacco "manoque" to handle them either the risk of mold is too much tall? ...
Thank you

Bonjour
Dans ma chambre de durcissement,flue cured mon réfrigérateur de réforme .
Puis-je mettre le tabac en manoque pour les traiter ou bien le risque de moisissure est trop grand ?...

ChinaVoodoo

I stack my leaves in plastic baskets in the kiln. I try to keep it at 75% humidity and 123 degrees Fahrenheit. In 5 weeks, no mold.

Gavroche

I stack my leaves in plastic baskets in the kiln. I try to keep it at 75% humidity and 123 degrees Fahrenheit. In 5 weeks, no mold.

Thank you China
During 5 weeks in constant temperature and hygrometry? No scale of rise and treatment in 6 days? ... in how long your tobacco is it cured?
I suppose that you move your tobacco from time to time

ChinaVoodoo

I'm sorry, I might have misunderstood the google translate. Is this for aging or for curing?

I was referring to aging in my kiln. The leaf was from last year's crop, fully dried at 90 Fahrenheit. It sat dry for 6 months before going into the kiln at a constant 123F, 75%

Cigar

ChinaVoodoo why did you let sit[dry] for 6 months before adding to kiln?? was something you read to do or just timing on your part?

Cigar

ChinaVoodoo

ChinaVoodoo why did you let sit[dry] for 6 months before adding to kiln?? was something you read to do or just timing on your part?

Cigar

I moved, and couldn't justify taking the time to build a kiln because there were a lot of other projects that required my attention.

So back to Gavroche. I believe he needs to know if he can safely flue cure leaf that is bunched in hands. I would like to know this too.

Gavroche

Yes China it's the problem, you have understand, i make photo... Leaves are dry and maintaining I want to be cured in the heat of the curing oven

Good or bad idea ?

ChinaVoodoo

I've had mold below 120F, but never above 120F, no matter how it's stacked. I know AmaxB ferments at temperatures below 120F, but he initiates it slightly higher. I'm willing to bet that starting slightly higher impedes the ability for any mold to grow after he reduces the temperature.

Gavroche

China, you think that 120 F kills the germs of molds? Little as a sterilization? The environment of the oven is so clean and deprived by the spores of molds?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
China, you think that 120 F kills the germs of molds? Little as a sterilization? The environment of the oven is so clean and deprived by the spores of molds?
Vegetative growth of mold is inhibited at temperatures above 120ºF. Killing mold spores requires very high temperatures, approaching the boiling point of water.

• Kiln for forced aging of air-cured leaf: temps above 120ºF will prevent the leaf from molding, so long as that temp is maintained. Typically 30 day duration.
  • Flue-curing of green or yellowed leaf (cigarette types): temps are increased to 165ºF over 5 days. There will be no mold in the chamber.
Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The "kill" temperatures of molds are vague and difficult to pin down. And killing vegetative mold is different from killing mold spores (conidia). In addition to varying by species, it depends on the medium in which it is found, the moisture content of the environment (wetter kills faster at a given temp), the pH of the medium, the nutritional content of the medium, etc.

With the unfortunate expansion of on-line marketing by environmental remediation companies, searching the Internet for specific, controlled studies on kill temperatures of various mold species is an exercise in frustration. In examining scores of lay articles on the subject, nearly every one cites the very same references (dating back ~25 to 50 years), which themselves cannot be located for evaluation.

I will generalize and say that temps above ~120ºF will prevent most mold species from growing, though it may not kill the mold, while temps well above 140ºF will kill vegetative mold, and may kill the spores of many species, if the exposure is in a moist environment and is long enough.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.