Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bragging rights 3 yrs in a row

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Ky State fair was held a couple weeks ago . My niece entered some hand tied tobacco again this year and she brought home the big trophy again this year .
I am very proud of my niece . I have taught her well .
This is her last year as she will graduate school this year and move on to college .
lMUAmxP.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So I looked it up, what are the different categories? What do they mean? Some made sense like potted plants (I saw pictures of gargantuan plants in 5 gal pots) but categories like stripped burley confused me. Is that a timed contest?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
She's a winner.

But there are questions:
  • Who grew the tobacco that she entered? [I think I know that one.]
  • What does she plan to study at college?
  • Will she be staying in Kentucky?
Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
She helped with the seeding , Planting , harvesting and stripping of my crops . Her and her dad (my brother ) would help me a lot and I gave her a small patch for her only patch .
Now that I don't have a big crop to handle she is working at a Save-A-Lot groceries store .

She want's to be a lawyer . I think she would make a good teacher or a nurse .
She is planning on northern ky university .

I taught her the color grades of each stalk position and how to hand tie tobacco .

SmokesAhoy

There is a category for Stripped Burley / hand tied tobacco , plant in a Bucket and a stick of tobacco . Best overall crop decision was made by points and she had the points to win . Even though she didn't win each category she scored high points in all leaf positions ( 4 Leaf Positions ) to total the most points . I think the fair board divide up so there are several who take home ribbons . I agree with that to .
Stripped burley was her hand tied tobacco .
Flying
Lug
Leaf
Tip

There is also categories for dark
Here is the FFA list http://www.kystatefair.org/entries/results/FFA/FFA Exhibits.pdf

At the fair they will have all kinds of show livestock , horse show , tractor pulls , Concert , Tobacco , vegetables , flower arrangements .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Wish our 4h had tobacco, 4h/farming is actually a very small part of the fair. We stopped going when it basically turned into juking and jiving and a great place to score heroin.

We found another fair, not the state fair that we used to go to, it's really nice, a bit of a drive from any city so while much less vibrant is much more enjoyable. It's all farming and 4h pretty much, can't wait for kids to be old enough to participate.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the company i work for is a major contributer. to the ag part of our county fair,

it is a small thing but brings big smiles to the youth.

Cigar

Congrats!! Bigboner!..I always said you were good man.remember the "Apple don"t far from the tree" as my late granny would say!

Cigar

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
BigB - pass on our congratulations! It's always great to see family run operations and family members participating!

Our state fairs are pretty decent. There's a few local fairs that are more oriented towards passing the time (look into the Ionia free fair, commonly known as the Ionia Freak Fair), but the ones located in the heart of farm country are very farm oriented. Lots of agricultural farm equipment dealers, research guys and 4H groups, sadly, no tobacco. If I mentioned growing tobacco there multiple guys chime in saying "Yeah...I grow...tobacco" and it's a lost cause past that point.

webmost

That's a nice lookin plaque!
She ain't too hard on the eyes either!

But what about the winning exhibits? Got pics of them?

MarcL

Congratulations again! Were are the other years threads? and I know y'all have more pix.. thanks for sharing.

MarcL

I don't know, there's just something about getting a good hand. thanks BB for saving me the search. Your the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.