Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Found a site that breaks down tobacco types

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaryNC

I was nosing around the net and just happened to find the following site. It has 13 tobacco types along with a description of each. I can tell is was translated from another language because occasionally there is a word that is missing or misused, and some sentences need reading twice to understand what they really meant. Maybe some of this info could be added to the newbie page?

When you open the page, click on "Tobacco Types". There is other information there as well.

http://www.tobaccoworld.org/

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
very good site indeed,,,

i just did a little looking on it,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Take what you read there with a grain of salt. Within each brief article, I recognize cut and paste from multiple sources. Much of what the site says is shakey information, some outright incorrect.

Sorry.

Bob

CaryNC

I was not aware of the cut-n-paste. I was mainly looking at some of the history, but if there is misinformation then I would look at it as "entertainment purposes only" LOL.

Then I do have to wonder how they could be so wrong in some cases. Disinformation agents maybe? I wouldn't put it past the little buggers.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I found the site interesting. Who knew that Justin Beiber was smoking weed? That will just lead down the slippery slope to cigarette smoking, then cigars and pipes. Next he'll want to grow his own. Then he'll want to make Perique, Cavendish and Latakia. There is just no end...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
CaryNC,
The underlying problem, and the cause of all the spurious cut and paste information on tobacco all over the Web is that valid info is simply difficult and sometimes impossible to find on-line. Add to that the reams of silly information and bogus legends on tobacco and cigars published in otherwise authoritative print publications. It's truly depressing.

The only remedy for this is to grow your own, handle it in many different ways, and see what you end up with.

Don't misunderstand me. I think it is wonderful to discover new sites that attempt to clarify some of the mysteries. I appreciate your sharing this site. In the words of Ronald Reagan, "Trust, but verify." On second thought, it might be better to verify, then trust.

Bob

CaryNC

I completely agree, true and correct information is hard to find. Some of the supposedly authoritative sites are purely laughable. One I read early on stated that tobacco can only be grown in a few southern states and are regional seeds. LOL! It just did not make sense, and to think people believe it.... I just shake my head. There are only a handful of legitimate sites with correct information so the truth stays hidden. As a wise man once said; "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than it is for a beggar to spread the truth". (some people still insist it is illegal to grow tobacco).

I am sure there are some elements of truth in that website, which makes any misinformation believable to those who know no better. If anything it kills time when there is nothing better to do. :)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i found it intresting,,,,, that it gave you a quick basic rundown of different baccy types,

to make one research deeper, if they liked what they read,,,, a good site for someone doing a search,

Daniel

Banned
I only read about several of the varieties. I noticed it said that Bright Leaf was grown in Sandy Infertile soil. If so then maybe I am on the right track with my crop this year. At least for the Virginia types. Once again I see the Orientals are traditionally sun cured. I may have to figure out a way to sun cure mine this year.

I seem to be stuck on a path to tinker with curing this year. I might as well surrender to it.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Once again I see the Orientals are traditionally sun cured. I may have to figure out a way to sun cure mine this year.
Just dump a bucket of water on the ground every day where you cure before you put your sticks out...and krrp your sticks close to the ground. Curing in such arid conditions might require some sun filtering.

I seem to be stuck on a path to tinker with curing this year. I might as well surrender to it.
Tinkering leads to discovery...some good, some bad. Good luck and don't forget to share before, during and after.

BB tinkered with some perique style curing last year. There was quite a bit of discussion on it before he did it and I think he's going to turn out some really nice stuff.

Daniel

Banned
Don, I followed the perique discussion lat year. I think it is what set me on the thinking of figuring out how to do other methods on a back yard scale. I suppose if someone can get all of that perique stuff figured out, sun curing and flue curing have got to be doable.
In a year I hope to have enough resources to grow a lot of varieties and then comment on air curing, flue curing and sun curing of each. My reports may be nothing but my opinion and be listed like poor, good, better and best. But at least it will be something for others to look at. Making a kiln that will Flue cure alone will be a big plus.
That reminds me I have to get that temperature controller Bob linked to ordered. As Willie Wonka says. to much time to little to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.