Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin? And chew recipe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

norest

I would like to make a chew that I can take back packing. One whiskey and liquorice root. Then a second apple cyder molasses. Both using rustica. Should I add Saltand smoke my leaf a little on Apple wood in my meat smoker maybe?

ChinaVoodoo

Re: Propelyn glycol or vegetable glycerin? And chew recipe question

Should I add Saltand smoke my leaf a little on Apple wood in my meat smoker maybe?

YES! I smoked Japan 8 with choke cherry and it's real good in the pipe. The jar smells delicious and if I chewed, I would definitely have tried it.

norest

Thanks voodoo! I will try the smoker then. Probably only half as much as one might smoke some thin Jerky? Also I'm not sure what to use if any of the propelyn glycol or glycerin.

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks voodoo! I will try the smoker then. Probably only half as much as one might smoke some thin Jerky? Also I'm not sure what to use if any of the propelyn glycol or glycerin.

I can't comment on how much smoke to use. I wetted a fist full of tobacco and stuck it on top of the chimney on my green egg, and put a brick on top to hold it in place while I was doing a roast. It was very unscientific.

About pg, I don't know. Hopefully one of the smokeless guys notices this thread.

ChinaVoodoo

Past attempts at doing a cold smoke didn't really work though. I think tobacco would need just as much smoke as jerky would need.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

Use what you would like in a chew. I don't like smoke flavor in mine so I do not use it. The salt will help prevent molding but most recipes I've seen call for way too much if it. Experiment with small batches until you find something you like.

I use vegetable glycerine in my chew and dip. Never tried pg

RyanM22

Keep it natural and go with the glycerin

norest

Right on thanks guys that was my gut feeling. Went and talked to the pharmacy today any they enlightened me as well. Make sure for consumption that it is vegetable glycerin usp. Not petroleum glycerin usp which is for topical application and would have an off taste aswell. As far as the recipes go it just have fun with it eh! I'm going to have to buy some whole leaf cause I only got 3 rustica plants left.

squeezyjohn

I have never tried putting it in a smoker, but I do know that rustica will readily take up aromas by infusion in an airtight jar so I imagine it will definitely take up the smoke taste readily too. I would advise at least a little salt for taste too but it's one of those things you can add more of but cannot take away - it's better to be under-salted than over-salted IMO

squeezyjohn

I've found that with chew you only need a really small amount of propylene glycol in the mix to keep the twists from drying out. About half a teaspoon for a litre of casing mix does it fine - probably less would also work. The thing to bear in mind when applying casing to a twist is that ALL of the water component will evaporate away as they dry off - so the flavours/effects really concentrate down from how they are when you taste them in solution.

ArizonaDave

I started using a type of tobacco product I make that closely resembles small cigar corona type chew sticks made out of cigar ligueros. They average around 7" long, but the RG is closer to a 32. They're infused with a rum vanilla mixture, then I let them air out a bit, to let the alcohol out. They then sit in cedar for a few days. I cut them in 1" or longer tubular shape. Basically they're self contained, pretty concealed, and can be used anywhere. Most people have no clue I have tobacco in my mouth. I go this route because I'm diabetic, and can't use any carbs such as long or short cut chew, and it doesn't cause receding gums like chew.

I like all the ideas presented here, and "whatever works for you" is always the best solution, not the "one size fits all" mentality of commercial tobacco.

norest

Hahah voodoo! Thanks John and Dave! That sounds more like what I was hoping for less glycerin the better. Glycerin and 80 proof will get along togeather alright? I read it's attracted to water. I tried to get down to the healthfood store today and there was a shooting in my mall. So they were closed. No glycerin for me cause people are crazy.

ChinaVoodoo

Hahah voodoo! Thanks John and Dave! That sounds more like what I was hoping for less glycerin the better. Glycerin and 80 proof will get along togeather alright? I read it's attracted to water. I tried to get down to the healthfood store today and there was a shooting in my mall. So they were closed. No glycerin for me cause people are crazy.

Try winning wines plus. I got some at 111St and 57Ave. They have lots of locations. I hear St. Albert has a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.