Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Primitives/unclassified

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Primitive is usually the designation given to tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) which has had little to no agricultural improvement. They are all being used, for example Mopan has a very long history, but there is little evidence that effort has been made to change its characteristics, particularly leaf size, and number of suckers.

Tanko

Thanks.

Wath to expect, compared to a "agriculturaly improved" species? Just another specie? Less "standard" characteristics and more individual variations? More robust? Less flavorfull?

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks.

Wath to expect, compared to a "agriculturaly improved" species? Just another specie? Less "standard" characteristics and more individual variations? More robust? Less flavorfull?

They are not a different species. They are different varietals.

Tanko

I think they mostly are similar to cigar or dark air cured tobaccos, but they are all different from eachother. The descriptions on Northwood Seeds website are fairly good.
http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm

I must maybe explain why I asked this question: I ordered some sort of tobacco seeds from Northwood Seeds, and got them in my mailbox today.

All well and nicelly packaged... and with a small "bonus pack" of cuba-4! It's a nice little gift, and I'm very pleased with it, but the description of "primitive/unclassified" has called my curiosity ^^

Alpine

Uhmm... Selection from primitive varietals necessarily means that the grower (breeder) tries to enhance one or more phenotypic trait that he (she) thinks is desirable or worth the effort. In doing this, other traits are necessarily lost. You may want to select for bigger leaves, or less suckers, or early maturity or even flower colour BUT very likely you will loose something on the way. Primitive strains are often (but not always) less productive, with pronounced suckering, less uniformity in size and higher in nicotine content. Nei their necessarily better nor worse than heirloom strains. Modern day hybrids are a whole lot different.
Primitive are fascinating, but it is my opinion that If they were so good, no one would have Made a selection for desirable traits in the past...
Pier

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Of the 5 or so primitives I've grown all have been "normal" with the exception of Duale. It just looks shaggy and unkempt. The leaves flip upside down and never really get a yellow mottled appearance. Other than that the primitives I've grown are just like "modern" plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.