Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Building a whole leaf humidor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
This may take some time to complete, I'm starting from the ground up and need some aid in which direction to go.

As you may know, I'm on a limited budget so if I can keep the project to a low cost, I'd be happy to so.

Goals of the project
Store a modest stock of previously selected/humidified leaves in a relatively temperature/humidity controlled display case of 1-2 pounds

Questions with specifications for those more familiar with humidors

1. I don't have a reliable or cheap access to Spanish cedar, will any other hardwood veneers be sufficient? I can get maple, oak, poplar, American cedar.
  2. Do I absolutely need an automatic controller (if not, I'm envisioning a small PC fan, a sterilized sponge as a wick and a reservoir, the fan would kick on, pulling moist air through/around the sponge wick, pulling moist air into the chamber)
  3. I am planning to build this similar to a table top glass front display case, should/can I seal the edges up with any kind of odor free silicone to help withhold moisture and hopefully control too many humidity swings? (See Evaporative Humidification)
  4. Is glass needed, or can I use plexi/acrylic/polycarbonate. Reason being, it's a lot easier to drill poly than it is glass (for attaching hinges, handles etc)
  5. Any safe yet effective ways of making a heat source in the humidor? Perhaps a simple Xenon puck light?
  6. Anyone have experience with these hygrometer/temperature sensors?

Here's some photos of the design I envision only much smaller:
Photo Sep 13, 10 17 54 PM.jpgPhoto Sep 13, 10 20 27 PM.jpg

Any thoughts, criticisms, encouragement or discouragements are well welcomed, thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Curious idea. With toddlers in the house, I would avoid glass panels. For any interior wood, poplar, bass, maple or oak would work fine. American cedar is probably not the aroma you want.

I would guess that you can mount the glazing with the bead gasket stripping used for storm windows, etc.

For a relatively small space, you can purchase a 14 oz. bag of cheap, unflavored commercial black pipe Canvendish tobacco (~$15), and leave it open inside the cabinet. This will serve as a humidity ballast. At a capacity of only 2 pounds of whole leaf, you can probably make do with a simple (cheap...~$10) humidification device that just contains hydrated beads. It may not need to be refreshed with tap water more than once every 1 to 3 months during the winter. Buy one or two cheap hygrometers to keep an eye on the humidity (keep between 60-65% RH).

I don't think heat is necessary, if the cabinet will be indoors.

Good luck.

Bob

Smokin Harley

myself I would use maple . I just like the looks of it ...or cherry, both woods are stable as in moisture doesn't affect them dimensionally as much as it would to oak.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Appreciate the help guys! I'm really looking forward to building and using this. Most of my issue for procrastination is because I have to wait for the tobacco to come back in case.

Although, I opened a 35 gallon tote full of 4 year old White Stem Orinoco Monday, no idea how, but it's moisture is damn near perfect. A little on the dry side, but still pliable enough to pick up and sniff. Not sure how that happened!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Wonderful to be honest, it's a Rubbermaid food safe container that I had washed and let "gas off" before I stored anything in it. The best top note I can describe is slightly peppery. I'll see how it smokes tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.