Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charly

In the video "The Essence of the Cuban Cigar - 32 minutes", at 14'50, we can ear : "the leaves used for binder and filler are than rinced with a mixture of water and tobacco extract to restore its lost moisture", than it goes to the first fermentation.

What is this "tobacco extract" ? Did you already notice this ?

MarcL

In the video "The Essence of the Cuban Cigar - 32 minutes", at 14'50, we can ear : "the leaves used for binder and filler are than rinced with a mixture of water and tobacco extract to restore its lost moisture", than it goes to the first fermentation.

What is this "tobacco extract" ? Did you already notice this ?

I did not make the video but, I believe the "tobacco extract" refers to a solution of tobacco stems that have been left to ferment with water to develop additional enzymes to aid in the further fermenting and/or coloring of the binder and wrapper leaves. Or, just soaked stems to create a dying and darkening effect for uniform coloring. To just "restore its lost moisture" you need only water.

Later, when he is saying "first fermentation". I believe he is talking about the filler tobacco. where you can see part of the center stem being removed.

That is different tobacco from the binder and wrappers which does not have the stem removed.
The binder and wrapper leaves are usually tied together into hands with there stems intact.

MarcL

These videos are from the Stogie Review (stogiereview.com) crew and are about thirty minutes each at General cigars farm and factories.

MarcL

Tabacallera Dannemann, From Seed to Smoke 22 minutes.

Welcome to our world. We invite you to come and explore our passion for fine tobaccos, a passion which burns as brightly today as it did when Geraldo Dannemann arrived in a small Brazilian riverside township more than 140 years ago.

Explore with us and discover some of the stories behind the tobacco and the craft which we are all rightly proud of. We hope you enjoy your journey through our fascinating world.

Our tobacco is the single most important element in our cigars and cigarillos. We have been growing our own tobacco since last century and in this time we have developed a deep understanding of the optimum conditions for this precious crop to flourish and how best to mature the harvested leaves.

Come and explore the fascinating world of our tobacco, where 21st century agricultural science meets tradition and good old-fashioned patience.

https://www.dannemann.com/en/our-company

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y3QUbEtGCg

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Marc, Thank you for posting that video.

Although it is loosely about cigars, it is focused on the nature of starting a business, and the passion that it requires. In the current environment of so many folks confronting a cusp in their habitual work life, the notion of pursuing their own business, rather than working for someone else's business may be timely. For Maceda, his love is for his local, Ybor City shop, which will be severely impacted by the drop in tourism. But his recent decision to also branch out into wholesaling his Tabanero branded cigars, which he is having manufactured in Nicaragua, specifically for wholesaling to other vendors may save his business from failing.

Bob

MarcL

From Seed To Smoke A Cigar's Odyssey Davidoff Cigar Factory & Farms How Cigars Are Made 1:37:37
In early 2019, Bespoke Unit Founder Paul Anthony and Editor-in-Chief Charles-Philippe were invited by Klaas Kelner to visit Davidoff in the Dominican Republic. Watch this feature-length documentary to discover how Tabadom makes Davidoff cigars and learn about the full process.
View: https://youtu.be/bUA7LWI1NdA

waikikigun

Well, all other "how-to" posts are now moot, I guess. That's the complete course you've posted there. Nice one, and thanks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The "how-to" posts in this forum attempt to be accurate and useful.

While seemingly authoritative, the posts above contain numerous, important errors that have been repeatedly discussed in their appropriate threads in the forum. That is disappointing. The photos are beautiful. But even some of the simplest explanations (e.g. priming levels) say one thing, but illustrate contradictory information. This is typical of magazine articles. If you have never grown tobacco yourself, all that looks impressive and definitive. It is not.

An example of misinformation is the assertion that in the Piñar del Rio, fertilizer is not used, whereas @rainmax has the tour guide of the Robaina plantation, on video tape, standing in their tobacco field in the Piñar del Rio, describing the fertilizer that they use.

Most of us have read the mythology of cigars in magazines for years. It's always fun to read, but must be regarded with a skeptical eye.

Sorry,
Bob

GreenDragon

I watched this a few months ago when it first came out. Really enjoyed it, and I loved being able to see how this is done on a commercial scale. But in the end it's just a 90 minute commercial for Davidoff cigars. After I watched it, it actually convinced me to never buy their cigars again. The amount of needless waste and manhours spent to make "perfect" cigars turned my stomach, and only drives the price up. These could be perfectly fine $10-12 sticks but they sell for $25-$50 due to all this extra nonsense.

Just my humble opinion.

waikikigun

The "how-to" posts in this forum attempt to be accurate and useful.

While seemingly authoritative, the posts above contain numerous, important errors that have been repeatedly discussed in their appropriate threads in the forum. That is disappointing. The photos are beautiful. But even some of the simplest explanations (e.g. priming levels) say one thing, but illustrate contradictory information. This is typical of magazine articles. If you have never grown tobacco yourself, all that looks impressive and definitive. It is not.

An example of misinformation is the assertion that in the Piñar del Rio, fertilizer is not used, whereas @rainmax has the tour guide of the Robaina plantation, on video tape, standing in their tobacco field in the Piñar del Rio, describing the fertilizer that they use.

Most of us have read the mythology of cigars in magazines for years. It's always fun to read, but must be regarded with a skeptical eye.

Sorry,
Bob
If I say, "This is without a doubt the world's greatest hot dog," it is understood to mean "I really liked this hot dog." It does not mean that I believe myself to be an expert on hot dogs or that I claim to have eaten every hot dog in the world. It is hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.