Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Another method of curing - Twist Rope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavroche

Une autre méthode de traitement.

Who knows, Who smoked, Who can give me technical data onto the work to make?

I have no more place to dry ... I need another solution ...

Qui connait, Qui a fumé , Qui peut me donner des données techniques sur le travail à faire ?

je n'ai plus de place pour sécher... il me faut une autre solution...

https://youtu.be/o4v8nKbA6Eg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Another method of curing

My Portuguese is a bit weak. (All that I understood was that the grower has been growing tobacco for 45 years.)

The tobacco variety (I could not understand what was said about it.) resembles Amarillo Parado or Habano Colorado, but may be a flue-cure variety.

The method shown for making a rope from green leaf appears to demonstrate the following:
  • whole green leaf is allowed only to wilt
  • the leaf stem is then removed from the wilted green leaf --> forming "strips"
  • strips are then tightly twisted into a rope
  • the rope is allowed to cure
    (I could not understand how much time that requires. My guess is 3 to 9 months, depending on the temperature.)
  • cured rope is cut into convenient segments that appear to be fairly dry
  • the old man crumbles some of this tobacco into a dry maize (corn) leaf to form a cigarette
This seems to result in a pressure cure similar to the Perique process--I think.

Bob

Alpine

Re: Another method of curing

My portuguese is similar to Bob's but the man says the cure takes 90 days once the rope is formed. "Fumo de corda" translates in "rope smoke"
Pier

didn't we have a couple portuguese-speaking members???

ChinaVoodoo

I was given half a bowl of this stuff from someone who had travelled in South America. I lost it. I it smelled kinda like traditional unflavoured snorting snuff.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I did this two years ago.

It's wilted, deribbed, and twisted. The aroma (I used gc1 is musky and fragrant) you need to periodically tighten or retwist as the wilted leaf still gives up more moisture and reduces in size leaving pockets of moisture I was afraid would mould.

The moisture that is expressed gets black and tarry.

The ropes they make are long and wound on spindles, as it cures they rewind them which squeezes the rope again, probably airs out out and let's the leaf go under pressure again.

I've never had the real thing, even though I tried really hard to acquire it back then, but my carrotte inspired by the process produced something good. Alas it's been gone for a while.

Certainly it's worth trying for you guys with a lot of green leaf right now.

Gavroche

Yes we could certainly make it, China but my problem is that I do not have a place(square) anymore to air my leaves and that there is still some a lot... a lot !...

Oui on pourrait certainement le faire , la Chine... mon problème est que je n'ai plus de place pour faire sécher mes feuilles et qu'il en reste encore beaucoup... beaucoup !...

Gavroche

you need to periodically tighten or retwist as the wilted leaf still gives up more moisture and reduces in size leaving pockets of moisture I was afraid would mould.

Thank you.
I do not understand, you redo the rope regularly? That is you defuse her in sheets and make a new rope either you give tours in more to your rope?

je ne comprends pas, vous refaites la corde régulièrement ? c'est à dire vous la démontez en feuilles et faites une nouvelle corde ou bien vous donnez des tours en plus à votre corde ?

Strelok

Yes we could certainly make it, China but my problem is that I do not have a place(square) anymore to air my leaves and that there is still some a lot... a lot !...

Oui on pourrait certainement le faire , la Chine... mon problème est que je n'ai plus de place pour faire sécher mes feuilles et qu'il en reste encore beaucoup... beaucoup !...
Vous n'avez pas de serre? Dans la serre, vous pouvez sécher. La porte, de la fenêtre à ouvrir.

squeezyjohn

Thank you.
I do not understand, you redo the rope regularly? That is you defuse her in sheets and make a new rope either you give tours in more to your rope?

je ne comprends pas, vous refaites la corde régulièrement ? c'est à dire vous la démontez en feuilles et faites une nouvelle corde ou bien vous donnez des tours en plus à votre corde ?

J'ai vu cette vidéo il y a quelques années ... la corde n'est pas refaite, mais la bobine entière est déroulée, sechée en soleil, et rembobinée périodiquement. La torsion de la corde et le pression dedans a un effet similare à ce-qui fait le tabac perique et le produit est un tabac foncé, fort et piquant. Hélas, quant j'ai essayé reproduire le processus avec les feuilles verts, ça ne marche pas de tout - c'etait moisi chaque fois.

(I saw this video some years back ... the rope isn't re-made, but the whole coil is unwound, dried in the sun and re-coiled periodically. The torsion on the rope and the pressure within has a similar effect to making perique tobacco and produces a similar dark, strong and spicy tobacco. Alas when I tried to reproduce this process with green leaf it didn't work at all - mouldy every time!)

Status
Not open for further replies.