Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Confused about these plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I planted a lot of Havana 142 . Some of the seeds was from GRIN . A few of the GRIN seeds turned out somewhat different .
I don't know if it was a more fertile spot in the soil that that produced these plants. I believe they are of a different variety then Havana 142 .
They were seeded in my trays and kept separate . I bagged some for seeds .
Stems are huge and longest leaves are 32 inches long and wide as my tail gate on my pickup .
I left the plants alone until today when I primed the leaves . These are older plants and held up better than my other Havana 142 .
What do you think ? Havana 142 or some different variety . I know it is not CT Broadleaf . Seeds from GRIN
Tobacco to the left ( Vuelta Abajo ) and right ( Havana 142 not from Grin ) is suckered tobacco that I had taken the leaves from and have grown back out .
NjmvQAT.jpg

iu0rhLw.jpg

ajFRNwC.jpg

2DOx2Yf.jpg

SzWG1Nr.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Leaf size is about what my madole plants I got from you grew to.

Cigar

Those are some huge leaves Bigbonner! May ask why you choose Havana 142?? was because of the production or just one you like??

Cigar

Smokin Harley

those leaves are huge at 36 inches . the veining mid leaf looks like 120 degrees . by the thickness of the leaf stem I have no idea what it is but it looks a lot like the Colombian Garcia I grew this year.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Those are some huge leaves Bigbonner! May ask why you choose Havana 142?? was because of the production or just one you like??

Cigar

I grow a lot of varieties to have for sale , Havana is one . I grow some of each variety that I want to lay back and age . Have to keep ahead for aging tobacco . Havana can be used in cigars and cigarettes both .
I have also tried some of my Habano and shade in cigarettes and it make them taste a little like cigars and not harsh .

SmokesAhoy
It is not Madole . I did not seed Madole plants in this year plant grow .

These came out of Havana 142 from Grin I am 100% sure of that .

These plants stayed green , didn't go down when we had some wind and heavy rain like other Havana 142 did . I have no other plants in my field that looks like these do .
The leaves are old torn and holy . I left the plants alone to make seeds . But I am not sure they are worth keeping . Stem and veins are way too big for wrapper .
These plant have stood the harsh weather this year . From way too much rain and then we fell into a severe HOT drought .

It has been so hot and dry here that my silage corn dry down was 2 weeks early harvesting . The hot sun was just drying everything up . A little rain here today but two or three weeks too late .

I am stumped to , That is why I posted pictures .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Even though you don't really know what you've got, you may want to save some seed to try again next year. With a more favorable season, and timely priming, you might have a variety that is valuable. Who knows? My guess is that GRIN sent you something other than what's on the envelope.

Bob

Smokin Harley

try some as leaf chew. try some as pipe tobacco. As long as you have an open mind , try it as everything and see what works best.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Hey bigb, like Bob said, you might be onto something special, glad you saved seed. Havana 142 has a pretty distinct flavor, should be easy to ID the family if not the strain once it's cured. If you want to send me a small strip off a leaf with an order in the future I'll give it a go.

Floppy2

I agree with Smokin! Save it. Some of the best things we enjoy today, were "mistakes" from yesterday! :).

bjr

BigBonner

Founding Member
I am saving seeds . You can see the string hanging down at the top of the top photo .
I will have to send off and get a expert opinion on use . Will have to get a couple of the dead leaves at the bottom and shred for smoking .

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Larry!

I had some come up the exact same looking plant, I figured I mixed up a plant or two. From my "infield" smoke test, I'd swear these are Havana 142. Cured quickly and is actually enjoyable. Genetics at it's finest perhaps, or possibly a cross contamination at the GRIN (don't hate on me for saying that).

Definitely not cigar quality (aesthetically) but won't be bad for cigarillos or cigarettes. I also noticed it held moisture longer than the other varieties I have, and always had that leathery look to them, even after resting all evening.

Quite strange indeed, but possibly worth the extra growing.

Cheers

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I was fortunate enough to try BigBonners Big Havana today. It's a Havana by flavor. There is a slight sweetness in the flavor with maybe hints of hay? It's really good, and would make it a contender for one of those all by itself varieties. Also the minimally processed variety, I'm smoking leaf grown this year! It's really good.

My cigar used half a leaf. One of the cool thing about farmers is they plant so many plants. If there was a large leaf phenotype in the Havana 142 I could see a huge grow having enough plants to get the odds right. Later on I plan to make two same sized puros, a known Havana 142 and this big Havana and smoke them both at the same time, I'll report back.

Whatever leaf this is was very very good though. Big leaves and great flavor.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I recently finished kilning BB's Big Havana. Yesterday, I rolled a toro size cigar (filler and binder), wrapped in a Honduran wrapper, since none of the Big Havana leaves were suitable for wrapper.

I did not sample this prior to kilning, since it initially smelled raw.

After kilning:
  • huge leaf
  • definite cigar aroma in the bag, but subtle
  • lights easily and burns well
  • while smoking, there is a distinct floral quality to the aroma
  • very little body
  • nicotine seemed modest
  • definitely not a burley
The Big Havana reminds me of the milder, numbered Havana varieties, though milder and more floral that any cigar variety that I've smoked.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Floral, I can see that. Have you tried a h142 side by side with it yet?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've never grown Havana 142. The Big Havana is milder than Havana 263, Havana 38 and Havana 322. It does vaguely remind me of Mont Calme Jaune.

Bob

EDIT: Both Havana 142 and Havana 322 are partly derived from Havana 38.

Last edited:

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Very interesting plant, perhaps Jessica at GRIN can tell (but the chance is small). I mean they perhaps can look at other variants that. They have been growing the same time as Havana#142 and that way tell it can be that or that..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ok so I got these rolled up and smoked. For anyone that's had h142 would you agree it tastes like burley with a hint of something else? Something sweet?

It may be my previous bias thinking it was a phenotype of h142 that makes me say this, but after smoking the puros of each variety my tongue is telling me that the sweet flavor on the tale end of the burley dominant flavor of h142 is what I'm going to refer of as BigBonners Big Havana.

Looking at Havana 142 shows Havana 38/Page's Comstock, but then the trail ends. I could be totally wrong that it's different since Big Havana was untopped and the leaf allowed to go longer perhaps than the normal harvest time as he waited for seeds to mature? Would that have changed anything?

I don't know but I hope BigBonner grows this next year and it grows true to the flavor because this is really nice.

I wonder what size and weight those monster leaves will put on when topped? Holy crap.

Deluxe, if this was a phenotype of h142 the seed would basically be an f1 with the normal percentages of parentage being expressed in the field? Or would it be a reversion to some original parent that should breed true?

This is worth stabilizing if so imo.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I did bag these plants and let grow for seed . I wanted to pick the leaves earlier but I did not want to interfere with their seed production . If you notice the difference , the plants to the right in the picture was Havana 142 and heavy rain laid them over . These Big Havana plants stood up right and did not go down .
Stems are huge , veins in the leaves are father apart . May be good for blunts or small cigars ???
I wonder what they would have been like grown in the perfect year . Maybe this year would be that year . I will grow a quarter acre and see .

I am still wondering what I can grow that might add more of a selection to my current sales list .

Status
Not open for further replies.