Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

This is how I have my seeds set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's all on that same page. Since the test growers have come up with some pretty bogus numbers in the past, I regard all of these as very rough numbers. Who grows 38 leaves on a burley?

Leaf number topped: 34 to 38
Leaf length (10th leaf): 52-63cm = 20.5 to 24.8 in.
Leaf width (10th leaf): 27-28cm = 10.6 to 11 in.

Yield (cured grams/plant): 192g = 6.8 oz.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
My boss bought a 4 foot fixture and is growing Tomato's and peppers and some other stuff
I sent him a picture of my set up and he is going to build me a fixture stand from aluminum
I made mine from wood scraps that were laying around the house.
How long ago did you start those chicken ?Mine are at 7 days in a closed jar then put in the Peat Moss pads yesterday.

Edit For Spelling

theyve been growing for about 1 1/2 months,

my seed trays are flooded, i gotta expand my area, so i can pot these other seedlings,

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
Virginia Bright Leaf 3-30-2012

94KM2.jpg

Virginia Bright Leaf Seedlings Roots 4-16-2012

zDvLF.jpg

Virginia Bright Leaf Seedlings Roots2 4-16-2012

ouNZR.jpg

Bright Leaf compared to Burley Mammoth KY16 4-16-2012

WgQXW.jpg

dkh2

Right after I took those last pictures I transplanted them all to Styrofoam cups.
And by the latest long range weather forecast it looks like an earlier than expected
Planting out side. The normal safe time here is around the 7th of May but earlier this
year it looked like this was going to be a very cold spring and not safe until the third week of May
but today all the weather models that came out for my area suggest the first week of May
Will be ok to plant here

dkh2

Me too
If they get 34 to 38 leaves then the weight after curing per plant was an average of
6.8 ounces then according to some others here that must mean they will be a rather thin
leaf maybe a good filler for cigarettes. To make a mild cigarette.
Who knows I guess I'll find out

dkh2

I just fed my plants 1/2 strength fish fertilizer water, after letting the soil get real dry.
just about to the point of wilting but not quite so the water they absorb will have
nitrogen in it. It was the first time watering them since transplanting to cups
I'll post some pictures in a couple days.
I'm off to work .....see you guys later.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
5 days ago 4-16-2012

Today 4-21-2012
Not bad for 22 days from germination for the Bright Leaf and
27 days for the Mammoth

Thanks for keeping us updated. I have been watching this post as I am very interested to see how things go with the Peat pellets.
First time I tried growing tobacco about 5 or 6 years ago, I tried some Black Mammoth, Yellow Orinoco and I think some Havana 142 in peat pellets like that. I did not have such good success- I wrote that grow off as beginner's folly. I have not tried Peat Pellets since. Part of the problem for me was I found they dried out too quickly.

FMGrowit sent me some White Flower seeds, I am thinking I might try to do my little hydroponics experiment using some of them in rooting plugs or rockwool. It would be fun to try starting some seeds in those peat pellets and comparing side by side with those started in soil an another batch in some neutral media like rockwool.

Keep us posted! This has been great to watch!

dkh2

Yeah they do dry out quick that's why I tried letting them soak all the water they wanted
it was kind of like the Float Tray method I came too find out that the pellets stop soaking up
the water at a certain point and the sprouts just grew like crazy ...once I discovered the roots
growing out of the side of the pellets I transferred them to the cups in fact ... the Mammoth roots
had grown so much that they tried to adhere to the plastic tray they were in and when I pulled them out they
kind of stuck to the tray.

Daniel

Banned
dkh, those look about as right as rain. As good as I have been able to grow them anyway. I am guessing those cups are 8 oz??? I had to transplant my starts to 6 inch pots at 4 weeks of age in order to let them continue to grow indoors to 6 weeks of age. If you are going to keep them indoors for 2 more weeks just watch them that they are not stunted by the size of the cups. I have a photo on HTGT that shows the difference root space can make. one set moved to 5 gallon buckets at 6 weeks of age. the others left in 6 inch soda bottle pots. they are about 8 or 9 weeks old int eh photo. The plants in the buckets are about 4 times the size of those in the pots. BE very aware of the root space your plants need. IT can take a fantastic plant and ruin it very quickly. here is that photo.
normal_pot_size_comparison.JPG

This difference in growth happened in two weeks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My experience has been that:
  • tobacco will limit its growth to the size of a pot
  • restriction in root space determines the maximum size of the plant while remaining in that pot
  • the duration of that limitation has little effect on ultimate size, once transplanted to more spacious soil
  • a stunted, potted tobacco plant will grow normally, once transplanted to more spacious soil
  • the greatest limit to the final size of a previously potted tobacco plant is the remaining length of the growing season
  • since tobacco is a (tropical) perennial, rather than an annual, it is not permanently stunted by temporary growth restriction
Perhaps a more valid comparison is the final height (and leaf size) at maturity. If there is enough growing season left prior to first frost, it just keeps on growing until growth is halted by the weather.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.