Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

This is how I have my seeds set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
My experience has been that:
  • tobacco will limit its growth to the size of a pot
  • restriction in root space determines the maximum size of the plant while remaining in that pot
  • the duration of that limitation has little effect on ultimate size, once transplanted to more spacious soil
  • a stunted, potted tobacco plant will grow normally, once transplanted to more spacious soil
  • the greatest limit to the final size of a previously potted tobacco plant is the remaining length of the growing season
  • since tobacco is a (tropical) perennial, rather than an annual, it is not permanently stunted by temporary growth restriction
Perhaps a more valid comparison is the final height (and leaf size) at maturity. If there is enough growing season left prior to first frost, it just keeps on growing until growth is halted by the weather.

Bob

Bob, I agree with all you stated....
I grow my starts in 3 oz. dixie cups, until they get planted. Depending on ambient weather til I plant, some have gotten to 6-inches tall, with tennis ball size leaves. And they have a very tight root ball - I usually break up or loosen this root ball at planting, and they seem to benefit from that.

Daniel

Banned
Bob, Although I did not track the plants in my photo through the season. I will say they where lost amoung the others when it was all said and done. So yes I believe they do catch up once given the space. I am of the thinking that any stunting is bad though. Who knows how the development of the plant is effected in it's entirety. I am aware the quickly grown trees produce substandard wood products. does Tobacco that is growing faster to catch up produce substandard tobacco? At the very least it woudl be interesting to be paying attention to that sort of thing.

BarG

Founding Member
How many plants and varietys are you setting out, weather permitting? I hear a noreaster is slamming parts of baccy country lately. I hope none of our resident growers are getting set back. If your weather is even vaguely familiar to here give it a day and the forecast will change. We got zilch on an 80% chance of thunderstorms.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Here are all of the GRIN search results for "White Burley". It makes its debut in 1908 as "White Burley" Collected in: Campania, Italy (Comment: Received as N. tabacum var. lancifolia brasilensis havanensis). This might be a lead to find the earliest variety of White Burley.

White Burley then almost seems to become a type of tobacco after 1908 as in PI 148269 'Lockwood' (White Burley) and PI 148270 'Yellow Twist Bud' (White Burley).

1 PI 22117 - Nicotiana tabacum - White Burley - Campania, Italy -- rank: 1000 PI 22117 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'White Burley' Collected in: Campania, Italy (Comment: Received as N. tabacum var ... Plant Inventory data (PDF format) Accession names and identifiers White Burley Idtype: CULTIVAR. Availability Accession is not in the ... PI 150585 - Nicotiana tabacum - White Burley - Maryland, United States -- rank: 1000 PI 150585 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'White Burley' Collected in: Maryland, United States Not in the NPGS Collection ... Plant Inventory data (PDF format) Accession names and identifiers White Burley Idtype: CULTIVAR. Availability Accession is not in the ...

2 PI 148269 - Nicotiana tabacum - Lockwood - Maryland, United States -- rank: 519 PI 148269 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'Lockwood' Collected in: Maryland, United States Not in the NPGS Collection. NPGS ... PDF format) Accession names and identifiers Lockwood Idtype: CULTIVAR. White burley Idtype: OTHER. Availability Accession is not in the ...

3 PI 148270 - Nicotiana tabacum - Yellow Twist Bud - Maryland, United States -- rank: 519 PI 148270 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'Yellow Twist Bud' Collected in: Maryland, United States Not in the NPGS ... Accession names and identifiers Yellow Twist Bud Idtype: CULTIVAR. White burley Idtype: OTHER. Availability Accession is not in the ...

4 PI 150120 - Nicotiana tabacum - White Burley - Maryland, United States -- rank: 1000 PI 150120 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'White Burley' Collected in: Maryland, United States Not in the NPGS Collection ... Plant Inventory data (PDF format) Accession names and identifiers White Burley Idtype: CULTIVAR. Availability Accession is not in the ...

5 PI 150530 - Nicotiana tabacum - Judy's Pride White Burley (Type 31) - Maryland, United States -- rank: 1000 PI 150530 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'Judy's Pride White Burley (Type 31)' Collected in: Maryland, United States Not ... PDF format) Accession names and identifiers Judy's Pride White Burley (Type 31) Idtype: CULTIVAR. Availability Accession is not ...

6 PI 150585 - Nicotiana tabacum - White Burley - Maryland, United States -- rank: 1000 PI 150585 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'White Burley' Collected in: Maryland, United States Not in the NPGS Collection ... Plant Inventory data (PDF format) Accession names and identifiers White Burley Idtype: CULTIVAR. Availability Accession is not in the ...

7 PI 263165 - Nicotiana tabacum - White Burley - Maryland, United States -- rank: 1000 PI 263165 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'White Burley' Donated from: Maryland, United States Not in the NPGS Collection ... Plant Inventory data (PDF format) Accession names and identifiers White Burley Idtype: CULTIVAR. D 206 Idtype: OTHER. Availability Accession ...

8 PI 263166 - Nicotiana tabacum - White Burley - Maryland, United States -- rank: 1000 PI 263166 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'White Burley' Donated from: Maryland, United States Not in the NPGS Collection ... Plant Inventory data (PDF format) Accession names and identifiers White Burley Idtype: CULTIVAR. D 207 Idtype: OTHER. Availability Accession ...

9 PI 551338 - Nicotiana tabacum - MARYLAND STAND-UP MAMMOTH - Maryland, United States -- rank: 531 PI 551338 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'MARYLAND STAND-UP MAMMOTH' Developed in: Maryland, United States Maintained by the Nicotiana Collection. NPGS received: 1991. PI assigned: 1991. Inventory ... Maryland, United States. Donors: McMurtrey, J., Maryland AES. Pedigree White Burley/Maryland Mammoth Observations | USDA | ARS | GRIN | NPGS | New ...

10 PI 551332 - Nicotiana tabacum - CATTERTON - -- rank: 531 PI 551332 Nicotiana tabacum L. SOLANACEAE 'CATTERTON' Maintained by the Nicotiana Collection. NPGS received: 1991. PI assigned: 1991. Inventory ... United States. Donors: McMurtrey, J., Maryland AES. Pedigree Probably White Burley/Maryland Broadleaf Observations | USDA | ARS | GRIN | NPGS | New ...

Status
Not open for further replies.