Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Recommended potting soil mixes for container growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

I plan to grow my crop in #10 or #15 pots next year. To simply, I'd prefer to purchase a commercially available potting soil mix. In my area, the most popular "premium" offerings seem to be Fox Farm "Ocean Forest", Gardner & Bloome Potting Soil, and Whitney Farms Organic Potting Soil.
Does anyone have experience with the products? Do they have the right nutrient balance for tobacco?
Thanks,
Mwaller

Cigar

mwaller I have grown tobacco with pretty good results in pots..but first of all if you can always try grow tobacco in the ground! but if not option and have to use pots always go for very "light" potting soil for the drainage thats the key in pots..never use garden soil or topsoil in pots always potting soil only..its best to mix your own if you can..and three most important mixes are:Compost+Sand+Perlite also you can through in stuff like little Epson salt and Gardentone fertilizer and other small amount stuff but key is that "heavy soil" compacts which allows slow drainage its true you will have to water and fertilizer more offten in pots due to drying-out very fast in hot summer days but tobacco would rather be dry than wet any time. The compost part can be anything from homemade compost [which is best] to BlackKow bags or Mircale-grow {potting soil] or mixture all three which I use..also remember that growing in pots can work but dont expect to get near as good size leaf as grown in-ground, just my thoughts on the matter hope any of this helps.

Cigar

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the fox-farm '' ocean forest '' is about the best potting soil on the market,, allthough very pricey.

i prefer to make my own potting soil

i like to start with a neutral potting soil containing no time release fertilizer in it, then ill add perlite..sand..bat poop...cow and horse poop...sawdust..a lot of peat...after mixing all that up.. i'll add more perlite as needed, [ i like a heavy perlite mix ]

Status
Not open for further replies.