Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Corn Cob Pipes Bargain

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've put this off for years. Other members have posted about them. Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes, a bag of "10" seconds for $34. Shipping $8.50.

I have to say it was a fun box to open.

Garden20160924_2316_MMpipes2nds_inBag_500.jpg

The bag contains 11 pipes. (Actually 10 pipes, plus one pretend, toy pipe suitable for a very small, politically incorrect snowman.)

Counting all 11, the cost is $3.09 per pipe. If I include shipping, then it jumps to a whopping $3.86 per pipe.

Garden20160924_2317_MMpipes2nds_500.jpg

Even if I exclude the pretend pipe, it's still only $4.25 per pipe.

What about the defects that render them 2nds? I'll generalize by saying that the "X" marked onto the bottom of each bowl (to indicate a 2nd) is the most noticeable flaw. Most of these have a small chip in the plaster near the top of the bowl. The tall bowl (the "General": $11.69 when equipped with nicer bit) has a 1/4" crack in the cob at the very top, leaving only several inches of good bowl.

The "Shire Cobbit", which has the longer, Churchwarden-like bit apparently flunked because the tenon on the bit was spun slightly off-center.

The one style that I have purchased most consistently over the decades is the "Legend", though my purchases have been infrequent. Shucks! They sent me 6 of them. (I have a MM Legend from 1971 that I still smoke. I've gone through a half-dozen bits on that one.)

Many of these pipes include a Medico filter (the white thing in the bit). These work fairly well at catching condensation, but must be discarded after maybe 1/2 dozen bowls. MM Corncobs still smoke perfectly well if the Medico filter is left out.

If you have no pipes (or few pipes), and want to have a collection large enough to allow them to dry-out between bowls of tobacco, this is a no-brainer. Although seconds, they are all smokable pipes. And who buys a corncob to impress anyone?

They do require some break-in (that small number of bowls that don't taste quite right), though not much of a break-in.

Buy them here: http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

The style of pipes you get is random, so your selection is not likely to look the same as mine.

Bob

CobGuy

(Actually 10 pipes, plus one pretend, toy pipe suitable for a very small, politically incorrect snowman.)

Don't completely discount that little guy ... it's actually a fine little sampling pipe that's especially great for trying single leaf varieties.

Personally, I think their best pipe is the Mark Twain with bent stem.

+1 on that ... the Diplomat - both apple and chimney (5th Avenue) - are also great.

Speaking of MacArthur's ... check out this bad-boy from the late 1800's that I picked up from a local antique store:

16%2B-%2B1

Brown Thumb

When I bought mine, I dident geat a little guy. Guess the cobs are getting a lot smaller.I use then for taste testing for the most part. I don't have the time to deal with a pipe but do like to hit on one once in a while. There is only nine shown, my boy swiped one. Every kid should have a corn cob pipe. :):)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 15

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't completely discount that little guy ... it's actually a fine little sampling pipe that's especially great for trying single leaf varieties.
I have a moustache, which I've chosen not to set on fire.

...my boy swiped one. Every kid should have a corn cob pipe.
If he doesn't have more than peach fuzz, I've got a midget pipe he might like to swipe.

That cob with the 24" stem would allow you to fully burn all of the tobacco in the bowl, before encountering the inconvenience of smoke reaching your mouth. Impressive to look at.

Bob

DIY Pete

Bob,
I got a set of seconds a while back and they are great! I just had a go with a pipe for the first time the other night and I had a hard time keeping it lit. I'm sure it was because I was doing something wrong but I've never done anything perfect on the first try so no worries. My best guess is that I had it packed wrong or I need to dry down my tobacco a little more.

Pete

Brown Thumb

You tell me.;)
Not much there. He has his razor ready but is waiting for Hair.:confused:
image.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...hard time keeping it lit...
A pipe should be packed so that it draws like a well-rolled cigar. Homemade pipe tobacco should be just moist enough to not crumble to dust--slightly springy. Commercial pipe tobacco is laced with humectants, and is difficult to dry down, but it can be done. For the latter, pack the bowl, then set the packed pipe aside for a few hours or days.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
When I bought mine, I did'nt get a little guy. Guess the cobs are getting a lot smaller.

Depends on when you bought them. They had a really bad drought awhile ago (5 years ago?) and as a result their cobs were noticeably smaller. All is well again and the cobs have returned to their "normal" size.

Smokin Harley

I bought a smokable seconds bag a month ago. Nice smoking pipes. I already have a favorite. kind of a darker (stained ?) with a bent stem. the rim has a small chunk out of it making it a blemish , smokes really well. I really wish the pack had a churchwarden in it . Anyone get two that would be willing to trade one for a couple of the other pipes I got in my pack?

Smokin Harley

Bob,
I got a set of seconds a while back and they are great! I just had a go with a pipe for the first time the other night and I had a hard time keeping it lit. I'm sure it was because I was doing something wrong but I've never done anything perfect on the first try so no worries. My best guess is that I had it packed wrong or I need to dry down my tobacco a little more.

Pete
I still use the "swirl in the palm" method of packing the pipe. always a perfect bowl that smokes darn near to the bottom without much futzing around or much re-tamping .

Cigar

I always like many wanted try pipe smoking but other day went to local favorite Tobacco shop and had nice looking pipe the but lady said $39.99 and then she told me need buy filters and then pipe tobacco and then had "break in pipe" then soon new stem..I was like for all that could buy 2-bundles of favorite cigars here??

Cigars

DIY Pete

I just took another wack at the pipe and did a little better this time. I packed it more than last time and it stayed lit better but I still had to hit it with the lighter a few times and didn't make it to the bottom of the bowl. I think the baccy is just a touch damp. I got a lot of condensation out of the bit. I got some blending tobacco from pipes and cigars with the hope that it would have less additives than the flavored types. I will leave a small portion out for a couple of days and try again.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/blending-tobaccos/

What I am using to break in the pipe is equal parts (by weight) Izmir ribbon, R. Virginia, R. Virginia Cavendish. I may add some Easter Carolina ribbon to see if that helps the burn while I break in the pipe. I am also going to try some home grown that "Jitterbugdude" sent my way. I'm sure it will be better than store bought.

Pete

Chris A

JBDude sent me some earlier and I had big fun blending. Bought some Latakia to blend in. I mix cigar scrap in as well. Some blends are better than others but all very somkable.

i don't let let cobs dry out , just repack and keep going. Nice change of pace from cigars.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Corn cob pipes that are manufactured with a hardwood plug at the bottom withstand moisture fairly well. Those with just cob at the bottom of the bowl really do need to dry out in between smokes, or they will erode through the bottom.

Bob

ArizonaDave

Corn cob pipes that are manufactured with a hardwood plug at the bottom withstand moisture fairly well. Those with just cob at the bottom of the bowl really do need to dry out in between smokes, or they will erode through the bottom.

Bob

Bob, I actually own a couple of these pipes, and love them. I might get the package of pipes sometime this week, looked at them the other day when you posted the link. Thanks for posting.

Chris A

Deluxe

OK, that makes sense. My current favorite blend has an aromatic from Lane and I added VBL from Don, and a pinch of this & that. The Virginia and aromatic is a double shot of sweet, so I usually don't smoke all the way down to avoid the bite. Makes sense my pipe isn't burning through.

Status
Not open for further replies.