Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Periqueining

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I unpacked the beast today and re-stacked. A few observations:

-the tobacco came out feeling dry - or at least not soggy. It really took back the water. I've added about 1/2 gal. so far.
-the press was tight enough to indent the grain pattern of the oak into the leaves.
-my flange contraption needs some modification because it doesn't center under the screw. I'll take it to school tomorrow and see if they can weld a piece of pipe on it.
20161002_134500.jpg
20161002_134912.jpg

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
Update: I bolloxed it right up, at least temporarily. I couldn't get the screw to seat on the flange enough for good pressure, so I took it off to bring it to welding tomorrow. I substituted a piece of flat steel in the meantime. While I had it open, I added about 3/4 cup of water and enjoyed watching the tobacco suck it up like dry soil. Then I put the press on and saw it promptly bubble over the top when I applied the screw. Whoops. I don't want to pour it off because it's got the black gold. I wonder if it might be re-absorbed some overnight. I suppose I'll just leave it and re-evaluate later.

I need to replace this crappy pot, anyway, and perhaps find a better way to get it to sit in the frame. Applying pressure makes it go sideways.

Rome wasn't squished in a day.

DistillingJim

This may be a question better suited to another thread but does the type of tobacco affect the taste of the perique? Will a turkish or virginia taste significantly different to the perique plant?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
This may be a question better suited to another thread but does the type of tobacco affect the taste of the perique? Will a turkish or virginia taste significantly different to the perique plant?

Yes. I made Turkish Perique a few years ago but most of it molded before I got to try it. The few bowls I did manage were excellent (very unique flavor). I'm currently pressing some Lemon flue cured. I'll let you know in a few months how it turns out.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I can't answer this from personal experience, but the consensus on this forum seems to be that the perique process changes the leaf so radically that you really can't tell by the time it comes out. If there was a way for me to make multiple small presses, it might be worth the effort to do the Pepsi challenge, so to speak. Most people on here seem to make theirs with a little bit of whatever, and it seems to all be pretty similar. I just started with this variety because of my initial fascination with perique and supposed authenticity.

But then again, Jitterbugdude's response about oriental and Virginia perique opens up possibilities about unique combos of ingredients, and a billion new variables in general.

Smokin Harley

according to Bob any tobacco can be "periqued" as it is a method rather than a variety, like Cavendish. Virginia being a generally sweeter tobacco ,I would think it would turn out very nice. I'd like to try it with some Little Dutch .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
but the consensus on this forum seems to be that the perique process changes the leaf so radically that you really can't tell by the time it comes out.

Looks like we need to change the consensus..

I did an experiment a few years back with about a dozen members here. I sent out 4 different batches of a VaPer. Each batch had a different Perique made by one of the members on this board. Very interesting results especially since the "real" McClellends Perique was not voted as being the best tasting.

See the drama unfold here.. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...lunteers-needed!?highlight=Perique+experiment
Perique on.. :)

Last edited:

ChinaVoodoo

Looks like we need to change the consensus..

I did an experiment a few years back with about a dozen members here. I sent out 4 different batches of a VaPer. Each batch had a different Perique made by one of the members on this board. Very interesting results especially since the "real" McClellends Perique was not voted as being the best tasting.

Perique on

I just realized all those posts I ignored about VaPer were about Virginia Perique, not about vaping juice.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My impression is that every Perique batch (using different varieties, or just different conditions during the pressure-cure process) yields a subtly different flavor and aroma. But the overwhelming "Periqueness" of the final product is unmistakably similar. The pH elevation also seems to differ from batch to batch, meaning that pipe blending recipes using Perique to balance the bite of flue-cured Virginia have to be adjusted for the nature of the Perique being used.

Lot's of fun here.

Bob

ArizonaDave

according to Bob any tobacco can be "periqued" as it is a method rather than a variety, like Cavendish. Virginia being a generally sweeter tobacco ,I would think it would turn out very nice. I'd like to try it with some Little Dutch .

Now that could be interesting! Given the floral characteristics, and the sometimes reported pungent odor, it will either be a great smoke or a putrid flower.

Brown Thumb

I wonder if the water we use has any affect. Well vs distilled.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
My impression is that every Perique batch (using different varieties, or just different conditions during the pressure-cure process) yields a subtly different flavor and aroma. But the overwhelming "Periqueness" of the final product is unmistakably similar.

Lot's of fun here.

Bob

Jitterbugdude, this is what I meant. Bob is more articulate than I am. I suppose I should have said "more similar than different."

Gavroche

I'm sure it does.

Oh yes, the whisky is different when the source(spring) of water is different...
Perique : I opened my jars, they have 10 days of press that feels(smells) the black olive!

Question, I put back(hand) the water which I got back either some new water?

XOh oui, le whisky est différent quand la source d'eau est différente...
Périque : j'ai ouvert mes bocaux , ils ont 10 jours de presse... ça sent l'olive noire !

Question, je remets l'eau que j'ai récupérée ou bien de l'eau nouvelle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.