Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapper issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddzy

The edge of my wrapper lifts ever so slightly when it's drying is there a way to prevent this?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Stretch. If the edge of the wrapper is a little ruffled to start with, you may need to trim it with a chaveta (or any cutting tool). Applying just enough stretch to get it tight, but not so much that the edge tears is a skill that comes with practice.

Bob

Chris A

Buddzy

This is my issue as well. Frustrating when some are perfect and others and not. I give away the perfect ones. Uglier ones smoke just fine.

Buddzy

Might have to try the habano it does look like some nice wrapper.

webmost

Might have to try the habano it does look like some nice wrapper.

Likewise Connecticut Shade.

Make them damp. These two wrappers shrink down tight as they dry. Edges lay down nicely.

Be sure you roll them after you wrap them. I see lots of vids where the torcedor rolls his fresh-wrapped cigar beneath his chavetta. I like to use a 3" x 8" sheet of tupperware type stuff. Dunno where I got it. Maybe it was a squeegee in its first life. Or my hand. Or both. Rolling after wrapping helps your seams lay down.

charlie G.

Buddzy we all might be able to help more if you let us know how you prep your wrappers. Like how high a case are they in. Do you, or how much do you trim from the outside edges of the half wrapper leaf. And as Web said I always roll my finished cigars smooth with my Chavetta before putting them up to dry. It helps smooth the whole wrapper, and edges.

Buddzy

I get my wrapper and lightly mist it set it in a bag overnight when it comes out its very pliable and stretches well with no dry spots, I always roll it with my chaveta after I wrap, I usually trim about an 1/8 of an inch from the edge of the leaf

MarcL

That sounds right as long as it is enough time for it to absorb fully. if the strip is to wide, it could tend to hamper full elastic tolerances.

webmost

I get my wrapper and lightly mist it set it in a bag overnight when it comes out its very pliable and stretches well with no dry spots, I always roll it with my chaveta after I wrap, I usually trim about an 1/8 of an inch from the edge of the leaf

Try taking more than a half inch off the edge. Make your cut straight, at about a 45 degree angle to the veins.

Buddzy

image.jpgI think I've gotten it, I ended up leaving this one rolled in a piece of paper overnight looks pretty good I think. I also cut the wrapper not as wide as I usually do.
nic ligero
habano viso
dom seco
camaroon binder
nic wrapper

MarcL

Looks pretty good. Notice how your capping has a little more sheen to it, due to it was stretched that little bit more then the rest of the wrapper. I'd bet. Stretching is what makes it shine.

Buddzy

Damn I thought it was because of the glue, I kinda got it on both fingers. I stretch the shit out of the wrapper but I guess not enough I will work on a better stretch. Thanks Marcl still trying to do as good of a job as you your cigars look awesome.

webmost

Damn I thought it was because of the glue, I kinda got it on both fingers. I stretch the shit out of the wrapper but I guess not enough I will work on a better stretch. Thanks Marcl still trying to do as good of a job as you your cigars look awesome.

Shouldn't have glue on your fingers. Just a dab on one pointer then wippe it off. Looks xlnt.

Gdaddy

This is caused by having the cigar tilted and being taught on one side and loose on the other.The solution for me was when you start the roll make sure the stretch is being applied equally from left to right. It has to be rolled straight stretch with no angle either way. If it's slightly crooked one way or the other it will be tight on one side and loose on the other. Check it on every rotation of the roll and you won't ever have this problem again.

Hope this helps..

Untitled.jpg

ras_oscar

I'm a raw, bloody newbie. I've rolled 6 cigars, smoked one and have leaf in the tempering bag for a half dozen more. I am attempting to learn the craft in stages. First stage: entubo bunch, binder, age 7 days. Figured once I have a stick that burns well, and doesn't fall apart, I would move to molding, wrapping and capping. Is there any significant alteration to the burn characteristics when adding a wrapper? Also, I have read threads here discussing dry boxing cigars before smoking. I have my current stash in an empty wood Camacho box. Considering adding rice to improve drying characteristics. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.