Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: Freeze/Thaw-Sun Cure Experiment

Thank you for reporting.

I left a few plants in the ground during this winter, but all the leaves turned completly black and moldy (probably aspergillus too ?), so it went directly to the trash.
    Not working at all for me

We had a lot of humidity, not strong cold either, so it might not be the best weather to try...

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    Thank you for reporting.

I left a few plants in the ground during this winter, but all the leaves turned completly black and moldy (probably aspergillus too ?), so it went directly to the trash.
    Not working at all for me

We had a lot of humidity, not strong cold either, so it might not be the best weather to try...
    The entire reason I wanted to do this was because once, years ago, I accidentally did it. That year it went directly from a short fall to minus twenty with a foot of snow by Halloween. It hit minus 50 that winter. I conclude from this experiment that this would only work if winter came on suddenly, and didn't relent. Literally, worst case scenario is the only scenario that will work. Otherwise, mold.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

mine just kept getting pounded by extreme differences of weather and I just yanked it and turned the garden over a couple weeks ago when we had an unseasonably warm few days.
    Getting ready to start seeding the 2017 crop in just a couple weeks.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

It's been interesting to follow. Although I've harvested a few larger sucker leaves that had remained all winter, I was never impressed with the result. (Maybe it wasn't consistently cold enough.)

My philosophy on this freeze/thaw sun-cure approach really has little to do with the quality of the final leaf. It's just a statistical argument. Starting from the very first day that a leaf is ready to be harvested, each additional day that passes while the leaf remains on the plant is one more day of risk for insect damage, hail damage, wind damage, rain soaking, and every other late season risk to tobacco in the field. The shed represents safety from all these field risks.

If you are caught by surprise cold, and immature leaf is frozen, then the benefit of properly handling it when it thaws is minimal, and you may as well leave it out there to bleach the chlorophyll and maybe survive to a harvestable state. In this scenario, you begin with a total loss of that leaf, and may recoup some fraction of the effort that went into growing it.

Many years ago, when Don was growing, he offered me some leaf (Rabo de Gallo Negro) that had experienced some sort of freeze trauma. He seemed genuinely surprised that I requested more of it. It possessed a rare aroma that I enjoyed as a cigar filler condiment. I've never been able to replicate that result with anything that I've grown.

Bob

Super Moderator

My best leaves from a visual standpoint were those that had frozen solid, dying in that manner. Otherwise the winter was slow to come on and most leaves didn't receive this decisive kill. This experiment was helpful to me in that moving forward if I have a hard frost that comes in fast and annihilates the plant I'll leave it out until chlorophyll is gone and then kiln it.

From that I'm happy this was done by everyone. Gives us something to work with up north if we get unlucky.

I made 3 hour 15lb pressure cooker Cavendish out of the freeze cured tobacco. The Canik has an aroma of freshly baked dark rye bread. In the pipe, it tastes like a French cigarette with a hint of je ne sais quoi.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Dark rye bread sounds good. Is the "French cigarette" a nice French cigarette, or Gauloises?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Dark rye bread sounds good. Is the "French cigarette" a nice French cigarette, or Gauloises?

Bob
    Gitanes is what I had in mind.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678