Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

House plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzai

I know this might be a strange question to some, but are there any strains of tobacco that would fair well as a house plant during the winter? I bought some Turkish Samsun seeds off of ebay awhile back, and I tried to grow it once and I couldn't get a single sprout out of it. With some renewed interest lately, I've wanted to try again. Seeing as how it's almost October now, if anything does sprout it's going to have to grow inside. I have very large windows that let sun in most of the day. Just curious if anyone has ever done this? I don't really care if it's smoke-able or not.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I pulled a plant at the end of the season last year and had it in the laundry room over the winter. It continued growing leaves, got no taller then 8" kept putting out tiny leaves that turned brown and dried as more were put out. It was tiny when I put it in a 5 gal pot in July and grew into a 3 foot sacred cornplanter rustica.

Lorenzai

Does your laundry room get any sunlight? I expected as much that it would be stunted being inside.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most tobacco varieties will grow reasonably well indoors if there is sufficient sun. Keep rotating it. The leaves tend to be smaller and thinner than sun-grown. If you use a pot that is 3 gallons or somewhat smaller with your Samsun, I believe it will remain a reasonable indoor size, and be smokable after proper curing.

With marginal sunlight, tobacco grows tall and gangly, with small leaves. With inadequate sunlight, they won't grow much.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I kept a Virginia Brightleaf plant in a big clay pot for 3 years. I never really took care of it but it thrived anyway. I put it outside during the summer but brought it back in for the Fall/winter.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
It was inadequate light, florescent sometimes, dark the rest. It stayed small, slightly larger than a big transplant, and transplanted fine a little under a year later.

It made probably 10-20 leaves the size of birch leaf, they cured on the plant and browned up. I did nothing with it whatsoever, thinking back I should have tried it in a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.