Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

crimson clover cover crop [ for soil improvement ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i got a 50 lb. bag of crimson clover to plant after my fall garden is done,,,

ive read on planting clover to improve the quality of your soil but ive never planted it before, ive seen huge professionall fields planted in it,,

i'll proablly let it grow from this december to mid april. and we will see how it helps my soil.. not that my soil needs any help with all the organic ammendments i add to it,,, but im sure it wont hurt,

has anyone used it before,? and if so what were your findings on it,:confused:

riverstone

That is a common farming practice here in NZ. The clover is put in with the grass seed when they resow after cropping. The roots retain the nitrogen in the soil. Just like free fertilizer.:D And then the cows eat it.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Clover and alfalfa are used to build up soil , Soybeans will help also .
Clover and/ or Alfalfa needs to be used on a two year rotation . Two years in a crop and two years in clover . Rotating the crop land every two years . More years left in a clover or alfalfa the better .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I've thought about a mix of this and tillage radish but never actually did it before. Makes a lot of sense to do this though

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well the most i can leave it out there is 4---5 months... i hope thats enough time to actually make a difference,

because as soon as the frost is gone my bacca will be ready to be dropped....

no expermenting with unknown strains this year im sticking to what ive grew in the past...and going for the biggest haul yet.... no less than 400 plants,

Status
Not open for further replies.