Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Flavourfull and aromatic tobacco for pipe smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That's very interesting, but exactly the opposite of what I saw on my crop (the maturing speed)..... how is it possible ?
I agree that the topped plants grew bigger leaves, but they matured later...
I agree with Bigbonner in that case, my tobacco matured earlier, I am sure as I break the leaves before I harvest. The leaves replied to me with a "knix" almost exactly two weeks before on these plants.It is not so strange after all that the plant wants to survive and damage a plant often is accelerated the production.

BigBonner

Founding Member
That's very interesting, but exactly the opposite of what I saw on my crop (the maturing speed)..... how is it possible ?
I agree that the topped plants grew bigger leaves, but they matured later...

Maturing yellow may be the variety that you are growing Most cigar varieties won't yellow up like burley .
My CT Broadleaf was green but had stood right at three weeks before I cut it . There was a slight color change in the leaves .
Signs of ready to cut CT is , leaves starts to wrinkle .

Smokin Harley

Thank you Bob for those precious informations :)

My goal for next year is to try many varieties, so I can try some blending.
Growing only one oriental + one flue cure + one additionnal seems to me to be not enough ... maybe I am crazy ? who knows :D

I already begun trying to make perique, it is in the jar, under low pressure (I used "cherry red 401").

About the orientals, I suppose each different variety offers unique taste and aroma, am I wrong ?
That's why I would like to try more than one oriental :)

Cigar types of tobacco does sometimes blend very well in a pipe (see GLPease : KeyLargo, Robusto), so does dark air types, and the good news is that you don't need to grow a big amount, as a small amount gives a lot in a blend.

Maryland is the type that interests me the less, I am not planning on adding sauces to my tobacco, I prefer to enjoy the natural taste and aroma of tobacco.

I plan on :
- 3 ou 4 orientals (maybe "Xanthi", "Bursa", "Black Sea Samsun" and "Prilep")
- one or two flue cured ("Frog Eye Orinoco" and another one)
- one dark air ("Bolivian Criollo Black" or "Japan 8")
- one or two cigar filler ("Vuelta Abajo" and "Little Dutch" or else ?)
- and maybe one or two more :) even if I put only a couple of plant of these strains.

If you have a really tasty and aromatic type to recommand, I am listening ;)

Everyone urge me to build a kiln... I should perhaps try to find the time to build one :)
For your cigar varieties- add Criollo 98 or Criollo Ti1376 (or both) don't forget to grow yourself a wrapper variety. So far I have grown Ct Shade ,Habano2000 and Coroja . They all grew very well for me this year. I built a 40% shade structure for those,and had room to grow a row of 2 others under it as well. The leaf has all been harvested and is still in the curing barn .I'm already thinking about what i will plant next year. I keep saying I will cut down on the number of varieties or number of plants ,but I know I'm not kidding even myself.
Last year I grew Vuelta Abajo and Little Dutch both grew very well.
Build a kiln- if you have basic carpentry skills its a few hours to a day of work. Mine is pretty good sized at 4 x 4 x 2(ft) ,lined with 1 inch foil faced foam, heat provided by a crockpot purchased from a thrift store, temperature controlled by a $15 digital controller bought on ebay. When I'm not actually kilning (spring time) I set up my 2-3 seed trays on top with a grow light overhead,heat mats under the trays,after plants are set out I store my trays and other tobacco growing things and tools inside . So it gets year round use.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With regard to maturation, a lot depends on the immediate weather. But it general, topping accelerates leaf maturation (and senescence), because it removes the primary source of plant auxin, which originates in the apical meristem (growth tip). The loss of auxin descending the stalk also triggers activation of axial growth tips, where each leaf stem meets the stalk.

Topping also induces the roots to produce greater quantities of tobacco alkaloids to send up the stalk to the leaves, in a response to what the plant identifies as "herbivore predation." [Since the plant has no brain, it can't tell that the "herbivore" that removed its growth tip actually may eat meat. Loss of vegetative matter = herbivore.]

Bob

Charly

For your cigar varieties- add Criollo 98 or Criollo Ti1376 (or both) don't forget to grow yourself a wrapper variety. So far I have grown Ct Shade ,Habano2000 and Coroja . They all grew very well for me this year. I built a 40% shade structure for those,and had room to grow a row of 2 others under it as well. The leaf has all been harvested and is still in the curing barn .I'm already thinking about what i will plant next year. I keep saying I will cut down on the number of varieties or number of plants ,but I know I'm not kidding even myself.
Last year I grew Vuelta Abajo and Little Dutch both grew very well.
Build a kiln- if you have basic carpentry skills its a few hours to a day of work. Mine is pretty good sized at 4 x 4 x 2(ft) ,lined with 1 inch foil faced foam, heat provided by a crockpot purchased from a thrift store, temperature controlled by a $15 digital controller bought on ebay. When I'm not actually kilning (spring time) I set up my 2-3 seed trays on top with a grow light overhead,heat mats under the trays,after plants are set out I store my trays and other tobacco growing things and tools inside . So it gets year round use.

When you say "Criollo 98", you mean "Cuban Criollo 98" or is it another strain ?
I don't see "Criollo Ti1376" on SkyChaser's site, do you know where I can find it ?
By the way, I've read some posts about "PA Red" which seems to be recommanded by some of you, I suppose "PA Red" is the shortname for "Pennsylvania Red" ?
Is there really a need to grow a wrapper variety ? I thought I could take the same leaf as the filler... I'm lazy :D (and I don't care if my cigars are ugly :D if they taste good :) )

Arghhhh... The more I read this forum, the longer my list is becoming... !!! 2017 will be a hard year ! :D

For the kiln, I will see if I can build one, maybe next year... or sooner if I can find the time ;)

Thanks for your advices,
Charles.

Charly

With regard to maturation, a lot depends on the immediate weather. But it general, topping accelerates leaf maturation (and senescence), because it removes the primary source of plant auxin, which originates in the apical meristem (growth tip). The loss of auxin descending the stalk also triggers activation of axial growth tips, where each leaf stem meets the stalk.

Topping also induces the roots to produce greater quantities of tobacco alkaloids to send up the stalk to the leaves, in a response to what the plant identifies as "herbivore predation." [Since the plant has no brain, it can't tell that the "herbivore" that removed its growth tip actually may eat meat. Loss of vegetative matter = herbivore.]

Bob

Hi Bob,
I am not an expert :) so I trust you. You have a longer experience than me ;)
But, I my case, I saw that the topped plants matured slower than the not topped plants...
In the picture bellow, 3 rustica ("mapacho" from Gavroche), planted the same day, in the same pot, with the same size.
I topped the left and the right plant, but left the middle one alone.
As you can see, I forgot to remove the suckers for some time, as the left and right plants grew new tips and flowers (but in lower quantity)
Some weeks later, you can see that the topped one are not as mature as the middle one :)
And this is just an example, I saw the same thing on other plants, in full ground or in pots.

mapacho_2016-08-08.jpg

It feels almost as if the topped plants are delaying/slowing their growth and maturation...
Any idea ?
Is it because I did not remove enough suckers ?

Smokin Harley

When you say "Criollo 98", you mean "Cuban Criollo 98" or is it another strain ?
I don't see "Criollo Ti1376" on SkyChaser's site, do you know where I can find it ?
By the way, I've read some posts about "PA Red" which seems to be recommanded by some of you, I suppose "PA Red" is the shortname for "Pennsylvania Red" ?
Is there really a need to grow a wrapper variety ? I thought I could take the same leaf as the filler... I'm lazy :D (and I don't care if my cigars are ugly :D if they taste good :) )

Arghhhh... The more I read this forum, the longer my list is becoming... !!! 2017 will be a hard year ! :D

For the kiln, I will see if I can build one, maybe next year... or sooner if I can find the time ;)

Thanks for your advices,
Charles.
Yes, I am referring to Cuban Criollo 98 .
I grew Criollo Ti1376 this past season. Unfortunately I didn't have any seed leftover,otherwise I would send you some.
I grew PA(Pennsylvania )Red last year. Grew very nice, huge leaves and a lot of them. Has a very deep sweet aroma and a nutty taste .
I imagine you could make wrapper out of anything given it grows clean(no holes) ,is thin enough to roll ,free of heavy veins, but most of all has a good burn quality about it. No one ever said a filler or binder variety can't produce wrapper leaf. BUT, there are specific varieties that are grown specifically for wrapper just because of their characteristics.

Charly

I grew Criollo Ti1376 this past season. Unfortunately I didn't have any seed leftover,otherwise I would send you some.
That's very kind :)
No problem, I was just asking if you knew a place where I can order it :)

I grew PA(Pennsylvania )Red last year. Grew very nice, huge leaves and a lot of them. Has a very deep sweet aroma and a nutty taste .
Yes, I've read that it sounds like a winner !
It's on my list... but I'll have to remove one or two others... or I might not be able to grew all...

Smokin Harley

Yes , thats for sure...its like a kid making his Christmas list and then a NEW toy comes out ...which one to take off the list...the struggle is real.
I made my first tobacco grow list not knowing anything of outcomes . I pretty much just picked air cure varieties because I didn't plan on building a kiln (which I did anyway) did some "cavendish'ing" of a few .
The second grow list was quite different. A little heavier on the wrapper varieties that wouldn't grow for me during the first grow. Perique was a must and grew well. Just need to do a little experimenting on my "periqueing" -barrel fermentation, "navy style" carrotte ...
This coming 3rd grow ,I'm going to be a little more picky . A list of totally different varieties ,but which ones....? Looking for more aromatic ,sweeter...might even grow a variety just for chew, for which I will take suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.