Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I heard. rush limbaugh. Talking about this today..i wonder if the big cigar companies are worried ??

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The industry predictions that I've read, should the full embargo be lifted, suggest that sales of non-Cuban cigars may dip in the US for a few months, then return to current numbers. I doubt that the relatively tiny number of tourists carrying back cigars will have any impact.

My suspicion is that the pricing of many of the non-Cuban cigars may fall from their present, ridiculous highs. There is no question that Cuban cigars are distinctive, but they are not "better" than many of the excellent cigars coming out of Honduras, Nicaragua and the DR.

Bob

Tutu

Yes, if it happens, I suppose there might be a hype at first but many cigar smokers will return to their usual favourites after a while.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Its the "" name and hype"" as stated that will make a run on them..but allthough im not a.cigar connisuir i doubt they are any better than anything else the market has to offer..

You home growers//rollers proablly make the best cigars out there.

Cigar

I have never had to chance to smoke a "REAL" Cuban cigar as of yet..but am guessing if and when they flood market here in US with there Cuban cigars it will actually help the other cigar companies in the long term once the "magic" wares off..people will go back to there favorite ones been smoking all along..the reason base this on is guessing the Old Cubans were most likely ones most people remember to be the great ones..and the modern ones are no better than rest market..just my thoughts. Still would have liked chance to try one of old ones out hehe.

Cigar

buck

I have never had to chance to smoke a "REAL" Cuban cigar as of yet..but am guessing if and when they flood market here in US with there Cuban cigars it will actually help the other cigar companies in the long term once the "magic" wares off..people will go back to there favorite ones been smoking all along..the reason base this on is guessing the Old Cubans were most likely ones most people remember to be the great ones..and the modern ones are no better than rest market..just my thoughts. Still would have liked chance to try one of old ones out hehe.
Cigar

Here is the problem, once it's legal to import Cuban cigars there are going to be soo many fakes flooding the market and craig list guys selling fake Cohiba cigars they got off the beach in Cuba.
This may turn people off Cubans if they happen to to unknowingly smoke a fake as the real thing.

Smokin Harley

fad rush sales... rise in Cuban market... it'll die down once everyone gets some and find that other countries produce cigars just as good or better. Its the thrill of the hunt so to speak.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Here is the problem, once it's legal to import Cuban cigars there are going to be soo many fakes flooding the market

I can see it now.. I walk out of the grocery store and two guys in a van stop me. Hey buddy, they say. Wanna buy some real Cuban Cigars? We just picked some up from the warehouse and they accidentally gave us an extra case!

Cigar

Oh Man thats great..next thing we will be like the "Left Coast" were the "other stuff" is legal already lol

cigar

DIY Pete

It's not just Cuba, if you are coming back from Canada, EU etc. you can bring back cigars and rum for personal use or a gift. Larger quantities are subject to tax.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/limits-slashed-on-cuban-cigars-19049

IMHO:
If the embargo ends and they start selling CC in the US there will be a huge demand spike with the associated price increases. Quality will go down, think 199-2002 CC production problems. Then eventually the market will get squared away and it will all go back to normal. Most CC are just as expensive as good NC cigars now when buying them from duty free sources. When you add State and Federal tax to the base price of a CC they will be on the high end of the market.

The true appeal of CC now is the forbidden fruit factor. Are they good? Yes. Are they heads and shoulders above other high quality NC? No. Fakes will be everywhere but that's not new. If I took the time to look I bet I could find at least 2 or 3 craigs list adds with obvious fakes almost any day of the week. People sell fake Opus X all the time as well.

Pete

Smokin Harley

taste is a personal opinion. I have had a few real cuban cigars. I have had a lot more from other countries...dominican republic and nicaragua probably (IMO) on average ,have better cigars.
Its like a Rolex watch ...most people know what they are but everyone can't obtain one. its a rich mans piece of expensive jewelry that I'm told doesn't even keep time that well. They are also probably one of the most counterfeited watches made. There are much better (and cheaper) chronographs out there that do exactly what they should do , keep time.
Or on the ladies side of things - Coach purses...who needs a 6 x 8 inch $400 purse to keep a checkbook or credit cards in? Hype? Status? Perception ?
For impressing people you don't know or like.
its all in what you're looking for.
I'm a practical kind of guy .

Smokin Harley

I can see it now.. I walk out of the grocery store and two guys in a van stop me. Hey buddy, they say. Wanna buy some real Cuban Cigars? We just picked some up from the warehouse and they accidentally gave us an extra case!
Happens everyday on the beach in Cancun.

Chris A

I agree they are different, not better(or worse for that matter). Excellent cigars are being rolled all over, including in my basement.

Visited my brother in Texas this weekend and handed out some I rolled. One of the guys came up to me an hour later and said "why would you ever buy a cigar again?" It was a blend I borrowed from someone here, but can't remember who to give props to.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Interesting news for sure, If I make a trip to "el hogar de los cigarros finos" I might have to test out this new ruling.

As for cuban cigars, different, good flavor, but I've rolled some that tasted just as fine.

To each his own!

ras_oscar

I wonder if there will be exports of Cuban leaf to central America to enhance there blends? Or do you think Raoul will keep all his leaf on the island and only sell finished product?

rainmax

Founding Member
...if there will be exports of Cuban leaf to central America to enhance there blends? Or do you think Raoul will keep all his leaf on the island ...?

Second.
Cuban cigars are overpriced for my opinion. I buy them regular since I travel to Cuba. I remember good cigars from there but since 1998 I haven't had opportunity or luck to get really good cigar or the right distributor. Maybe in Spain, UK or some other eastern country you can get this jewels... I know for Nicaraguan sticks that I don't have this kind problems( Oliva, Padron,...)

Inconsistency of flavor, burning, draw, lack of curing,...thats Cuba. But they still have the best tobacco or at least it is special signature flavor and strong aroma.

Status
Not open for further replies.