Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lefty Poor Man Grow log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

My neighbour said he has some experience growing tobacco commercially said it is hard to maintain tobacco plamt as it is really loved by bug. He used insecticide during growing and still need to spray every week to ensure a good quality crop. It is the second hardest plant he ever grow, just next to watermelon. He said watermelon is harder, need to spray everyday during early growth, and when the plant started fruiting, he had issues with rat.

Hopefully I can grow a good crop on my backyard. Maybe I should start another thread.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes I think that would be a good idea (to make a new grow-blog/log). Perhaps change name on this one to something like "my life" or something..You have shown some interesting things in it so I think it's sad to take it away..Tobacco and watermelon is two different things, I would say tobacco need to watch after alot but is pretty easy to grow. For example have I never growing something else than tobacco that some snails can kill under one night.But also thing that is easy to grow in some places can be really hard (or impossible) in other..

Leftynick

Yes Hasse, I must admit, I share fairly bit about my life in my rambling here. It just some thing happened during this project, as usually my life is quite dull. I am sure watermelon and tobacco are quite different to grow, but the neighbor just sharing his opinion. It is actually quite a surprise to hear, my place used to be a commercial tobacco growing place, before the government changed policies on tobacco growing to curb smoking among our citizen. Now most of our tobacco were imported and tobacco grown domestically were strictly controlled by quota. All the tobacco farm around my area become rice field, and I cannot find any expert on tobacco grow to find some advise. It would be nice to find someone with knowledge on growing in my area.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I understand that you want to speak to people how known stuff about your area and must say that I am little Surprised that it's hard to find..But I also surprised that he speaks about watermelon I have always been thinking that it would be perfect in your location, but also understand how wrong I might been. It's easy to think"the can grow all year round" but like everything else it's just half of the true.. I have been growing up one a island (in Sweden) and later moved in to Sweden (if You understand). And I most say that it's very big difference between growing possibility in a small country like Sweden.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...my place used to be a commercial tobacco growing place...
That may account for the presence of TMV.

Also, cooking oil (or many other oils) is sometimes used to suppress sucker growth on topped tobacco plants, by pouring it onto the top of the stalk, and allowing it to drip down. Including cooking oil in an aphid spray risks suppressing the growth tip of a young tobacco plant.

Bob

Leftynick

I understand that you want to speak to people how known stuff about your area and must say that I am little Surprised that it's hard to find..But I also surprised that he speaks about watermelon I have always been thinking that it would be perfect in your location, but also understand how wrong I might been. It's easy to think"the can grow all year round" but like everything else it's just half of the true.. I have been growing up one a island (in Sweden) and later moved in to Sweden (if You understand). And I most say that it's very big difference between growing possibility in a small country like Sweden.

Well, even here, where tobacco can be grown year long, the practice is to grow tobacco as annual, and it will be rotated. The place where tobacco were grown will not grown tobacco again for at least 2 year.

Even on small country like us have different climate all over. As I stay in peninsular, the west coast have different start of raining season from east coast. The north have more sub tropic climate rather than south where it is fully tropical.

Leftynick

That may account for the presence of TMV.

Also, cooking oil (or many other oils) is sometimes used to suppress sucker growth on topped tobacco plants, by pouring it onto the top of the stalk, and allowing it to drip down. Including cooking oil in an aphid spray risks suppressing the growth tip of a young tobacco plant.

Bob

Noted. I just used two drop per 500ml of water as this is the recipe that are used as advise to ensure the spray sticks better to leaves. Will leave cooking oil entirely after this.

greenmonster714

Just took some time and read through this grow log. Even with all the things you had to deal with. You still ended up with some nice leaf. Not bad at all my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.