Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rolling scrap cigars and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I found this video to be interesting . I can roll scrap with the rolling machines I make .
Watch for the glue stick and at the end how they apply the wrapper . They take a brush and coat the entire leaf with glue or something then roll it .
The double tuck cutter is very neat too .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmN8C7yACRI

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Rolling scarp cigars and more

They are rolling Nostrano del Brenta cigars, which are all made from coarsely shredded (probably threshed) filler. The profligate use of glue is probably a nod to perfect appearance by minimally skilled rollers. It's like a papier-mâché stogie.

My Italian is way too poor to understand the narration.

Bob

Alpine

Essentially the man explains how Nostrano cigars are made: the rolling machine is used to wrap the binder and the wrapper is added by hand. Each woman does both the operations and rolls about 250 finished cigars a day. He puts hemphasys on the fact that the filler is "beaten" and not cut in fine strips like cig tobacco.

Pier

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

...the filler is "beaten" and not cut in fine strips like cig tobacco.
"Beating" is a fairly accurate description of threshing tobacco.

My own experience is that small cigar filler scraps (having pieces similar in size to threshed tobacco) makes a cigar that smokes as well as a cigar of the same blend made with long filler. The most noticeable difference is the "feel" of the cigar. Chopped filler cigars feel less rigid and less solid. I think the determinant of smoking quality is the filler blend itself. (Commercial "mixed filler" cigars tend to have imbalanced blends that come from random scraps of several varieties of long-filler cigars.)

Bob

Alpine

Bob you got it! The exact translation of "battuto" is ... Chopped! Your italian is not so bad as you think. Nostrano cigars, needless to say, are made ONLY with Nostrano del Brenta (filler, binder and wrapper).
Pier

CobGuy

That's Mucho Goma! :eek:

Some of my scrap / short filler cigars are the best smokes. Where can I get one of those rollers?

BigBonner

Founding Member

webmost

Gotta be tough to feel what you're doing with gloves on. Never saw gloved rollers before.

Must be cold in there. Everyone is bundled up.

All in all, one true automated rolling machine from 1900 could easily outpace the whole batch of them... and make a more consistent product.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTbukVc7dOM

BigBonner

Founding Member
Very nice ... any extras lying around for sale? :)

I have three left until I get to making more . All I have to do to them is to put the rolling matt on and adjust the roller .
I don't usually put the matt on until I sell one incase there is a color request . I will PM you .

Status
Not open for further replies.