Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Making a Perfect Pipe Tobacco Pouch

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Making a Perfect Pipe Tobacco Pouch from a WLT Poly-Nylon Bag

I've purchased and used a lot of tobacco pouches over the past four decades. Some were beautiful, others ugly. All of them were singularly poor at keeping pipe tobacco from drying out.

The pouch shown below was recycled in less than a minute from a 7" wide vapor-proof poly-nylon bag from wholeleaftobacco.com (WLT). A left-over from a shipment of whole leaf. I've made several of these.

PipeTobaccoPouch20161024_2147_measurements_700.jpg

Use a scissor to cut the length, and to remove part of the upper layer. Round the corners of the apron.

The pouch section should be 4-1/2 to 5" in depth, and the apron about 7 to 7-1/2" in length.

These WLT pouches maintain the humidity of pipe tobacco for well past 6 months in dry, indoor conditions. (I don't know the limit, since I usually consume a pouch of tobacco in less than 6 months.) Initially, I used a strip of packing tape with a fold-over tab to keep the pouch sealed. I discovered that it seals just as well without the bother of the tape.

Tobacco can be drawn from the pouch, and onto the apron for filling a pipe. The apron catches the spillage, which can then be easily returned to the pouch.

PipeTobaccoPouch20161024_2340_fullOpen_500.jpg

PipeTobaccoPouch20161024_2342_fullFolded_500.jpg

The tobacco in the last two photos is the entire contents of a newly opened can of John Cotton's No. 1&2. This still leaves room in the pouch section to fold double-layer material, which serves as the humidity seal.

Pouches do eventually get dirty, especially with Latakia blends. The WLT pouch is 100% washable.

Since only certain varieties of WLT leaf are shipped in the 7" wide bags, inquire first, if that is your hope. Although the 10" wide bags will function just as well, the resulting pouch is unwieldy, because of its folded length.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Making a Perfect Pipe Tobacco Pouch from a WLT Poly-Nylon Bag

Pouches do eventually get dirty, especially with Latakia blends. The WLT pouch is 100% washable.

Since only certain varieties of WLT leaf are shipped in the 7" wide bags, inquire first, if that is your hope. Although the 10" wide bags will function just as well, the resulting pouch is unwieldy, because of its folded length.

Bob

or...simply request a 7" bag for making a "DeluxeStogie handy dandy pipe tobacco pouch" (in the special instructions box) with your next order.
I'm givin' 'em away.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case you need to make some pipe tobacco to go with the new, free pouch that you request:

LatakiaBlendingMatrix.JPG

Order some Virginia, Oriental, Dark Air and, of course, Latakia.

The John Cotton's No. 1&2 would be closely matched by the Smyrna Bright. The measures in the matrix are parts per 16 (i.e. 16 oz. per pound). I just use a rounded tablespoon to measure shredded tobacco. Which Virginia you use, and the proportions of each, influence the acidity (the brighter the leaf, the more acidic) and the fullness of the Virginia aroma (the redder the leaf, the fuller the aroma). In my blending using the matrix [posted on the cabinet above where I blend] I use whatever Virginia is already shredded, just making sure the total Virginia is right. The pinch of Dark Air fills out the body.

Happy pouch making.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Maybe I oughta just make some 1/2 lb pipe tobacco blends. That way you'll still get the bag plus a mess of tobacco to go in it.

Any requests on blends?

Bob, can I use you names?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I oughta just make some 1/2 lb pipe tobacco blends. That way you'll still get the bag plus a mess of tobacco to go in it.

Any requests on blends?

Bob, can I use you names?

My names are your names. An alternative might be to offer an "English Pipe Tobacco Blending Kit," and just include a printout of the blending matrix. Having a selection of the 6 varieties opens a world of possibilities. The matrix is simply a starting point for an adventure.

And your current Balkan Sobranidje blend is a wonderful, mild blend.

Bob

CobGuy

Good idea! I use these bags as basic Lieberman Rollers too ... another idea from someone here. :)