Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Today´s smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojjas

I attended at the swedish pipclub http://www.svenskapipklubben.se/en/ annual auction this weekend
I bought amoung other thing´s , an old tin of "Rattray´s Dark Fragrant " , after a google search on fact´s about rattray´s tobaccos i found that apparently that the tin was made by rattray´s earlier than 1980 ,so this tin is at least 36 years old
Opened it yesterday ( vaccum intact ) and stuffed my pipe , the verdict has to be , absolutley fabulous fantastic smoke , mild subtle smoke with a little punch from the perique
Well some thing´s where definitely better in the old day´s
20161030_170645.jpg20161030_170655.jpg
I have an quest to do in near future , try to replicate this , this tin wont last than more a couple of weeks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Great find. Rattray's pipe tobaccos were made in Perth, Scotland for almost a century--until the last couple of decades. I believe Rattray's is now manufactured in Germany, but I'm not sure. A tin of Highland Targe that I purchased in the early 2000s says it is "blended for Charles Rattray" but made in "EU". It's not the same.

I smoked Rattray's blends quite a bit in the early 1970s, and found them to be spectacular. The newer versions seem mediocre to me. I also believe that the "EU" blends contain cassings, which were not present in the original Rattray's.

RattraysHighlandTarge_2347_400.jpg

In this article [http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2012/02/rattrays-virginia-tobacco-old-gowrie.html] about Rattray's Virginia blends, the author speaks well of at least some of the newer products from the German manufacturer.

Bob

Charly

whouaa jojjas ! You are a happy man ! Congratulations !

I've never had the chance to try some real Rattray's tobacco (when it was made in England, by Rattray)...
I've smoked some of the new stuff, made in Deutschland by Kohlhase & Kopp, and while their tobaccos are not bad, they are not wonderfull either :)

I am not very fond of tobacco made by K&K, I find that English brands do a better job : Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hoggarth, Germain are amongst the very last real english brands still alive... :(
Real English brands use really less artificial and chimical products than other european brands (the laws were more strict in England, and they kept using few additives even when laws changed)

K&K produces a lot of different old brands : Rattray's, Solani, Reiner, Robert Lewis, Robert Mc Connell to name a few... and I find that they all taste the same... not bad, but uninteresting (and artificially flavored) stuff...

Enjoy ;)

Charly

I haved smoked Erinmore flake from Rattray's... the best !

Hum... I don't think Rattray ever blended Erinmore Flake :) (I think)

Hum... Je crois que l'Erinmore Flake n'a jamais été produit par Rattray... (il me semble)

riverstone

Erinmore Flake was made by Murray's Sons & Co Ltd. Belfast. Northern Ireland. I have so many empty tins because my x-boss used to smoke it and I worked for him for thirty years. Use them out in the workshop for keeping gun bits in.

Smokin Harley

quick follow up - This H&H Anniversary Kake is some wonderful tobacco. light, slightly sweet raisin /fig and mellow cocoa with a little tingle . Me likey aged Virginia and Perique blend. I doubt what I have grown will come close to this but one can only wait and hope.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...H&H Anniversary Kake...I doubt what I have grown will come close to this...
I'm confident that your own tobacco will compare favorably, if you flue-cure your Virginia. Most home flue-curing creates a mixture of lemon, bright, red and some brown. Add your home-made Perique, and you're good to go.

Home & Hearth Anniversary Kake said:
...a mixture of everything from Lemon through Brown...we combined it with St. James Perique (a good amount), heat-treated and pressed it.
My notion of "good amount" for the Perique is just below parity with the Virginia, maybe 3:5 or 4:5.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Bob, look up the blend Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake - its a blend of yellow to red various Virginia with St James Perique .Oh I see you did. I just finished the bowl . almost an hour. I don't know the proportions but it was tasty to the very end. The umami Perique taste came through to the finish . I could smoke this all day long.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Everybody's Perique is different. So the quantity has to be titrated against the acidity of the flue-cure content. Too little Perique, and you have tongue bite. Too much Perique, and the nicotine slams you. When it's just right, it's all smiles, no bite, and an explosion of flavors. I've never seen Perique categorized as umami.

Bob

Smokin Harley

no, thats my taste "observation" of Perique. Since my sense of smell was whacked out for years ...its starting to come back ...sometimes I'll smell something commonplace and I'll have to ask my wife what it is I'm smelling. Doesn't register as to what it is at first. Perique ,to me ,smells (and tastes)like cured meat. Even Larrys Perique has that quality to it for me . It takes a while for me to pick up the figgy part of it.

Smokin Harley

Tobacco- Lane 1-Q
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39894/lane-1-q/
Pipe- Harriels Meer lined ,filtered, smooth full bent ( i believe now to be my favorite pipe) . Pipe doesn't heat up ,just right .
Cold aroma- sweet, vanilla ,slight dried fruit.
Lit- A nice room note,albeit one dimensional to taste, retro-hale not a problem nor tingle. mild. lots of smoke plumes .zero bite.
Produces a gray mottled ash .
Thinking it might mix well with a pinch of the H&H Anniversary Kake I had last time to add depth / dimension.
I would smoke this again.
Rate (of 1 to 10)- 6

Status
Not open for further replies.