Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Do Woodlice Eat Plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverstone

I have planted a bed of 25 seedlings and they are being attacked at night. In two nights some of them have had their outside leaves stripped. I thought it was slugs, although I have set bait I have only seen 2 dead slugs and the same amount of snails. I was on a big hunt this morning and moved some old railway sleepers that have been used as edging and no slugs but they are alive with woodlice (woodbugs, slaters) many names throughout the world. These sleepers are only 18 inches away from my plants and this is the only source of nasties I have found. Has anyone else ever had problems with these. I have been gardening for 60 yrs ( yeah I am that old ) and never had a problem with them eating seedlings. I thought they only liked dead matter and were a help in creating compost etc.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wikipedia article on Woodlouse said:
Although woodlice, like earthworms, are generally considered beneficial in gardens for their role in controlling pests, producing compost and overturning the soil, they have also been known to feed on cultivated plants, such as ripening strawberries and tender seedlings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse
A photo of the damaged seedlings might be helpful in identifying the offenders. You might also go out in the dark, with a flashlight.

Bob

riverstone

Bob
I have just been out and found the problem, 9.30 pm here and pitch black. Earwigs! Dozens of the little critters. I have spread derris dust over the plants and on the soil around the plants,
I have to go away in the morning for nine days so it will be interesting to see the result when I get back (if any). I have backup plants and it is early in the grow so not a biggy. I have carbaryl if nothing else works.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
What I known is that it ain't the"normally" food for them. But that all of them can eat leaf's one living plants. But it is more common that a "Trichoniscus pusillus" or "Armadillidium cinereum" eating it then a "Oniscus asellus" eating it.. But how asking what type they are..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've witnessed earwigs eating baby tobacco. The rotenone may kill them.

I use diatomaceous earth (DT), sprinkled on the dirt surrounding the plants, but only in areas with nearby rocks or debris (where they hide during the day). The DT scratches the chitin skin of insects, and causes them to rapidly dehydrate. As long as you don't breathe DT dust while applying it, it's use is perfectly safe.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.