Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Batch #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenhagen Forever

Started a small batch using the POGreen method. Made my mouth water reading about his explanation of the taste. Looks like his last post was 4 months ago. I noticed that a couple of makers tried his method. I'd be curious to hear what you though of the finished snus.

Water and salt and 4 oz. of tobacco in the crockpot at 11 o'clock here. Came up to temperature (200 deg.) by 12:30.

DSC05615.jpgDSC05614.jpg
I used the high setting to get it up to temp and then turned it down to warm. It's hovering at 195 deg. f.
Looks like you guys are using blends of tobacco types. I am using 1/2 new air cured, almost 1/2 old burly and a touch of old fire cured.
I'll put my soda and baker's ammonia in when it's done. The house is starting to smell like gingerbread.:D

Copenhagen Forever

Coming up on 2 full days cooking. The crockpot had a problem. When I brought it in from storage, I dropped it and it changed something. On "warm" it keeps 170 f were it was 195 f. The "low" setting stayed the same 215 f. I had to switch it back and forth to keep the temp. up.
Remembering an old fry cooker that had a dial temperature setting, got that filled with water and set it to 200 f and it holds there good. So I moved my batch over.
I pops on and off and holds steady. It looks old but works. I might put some insulation on the outside to keep the heat in.
DSC05616.jpg DSC05617.jpg
You might have on of these kicking around. The dial goes from 0 to 450 Deg f. Works in a pinch.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
How long you cooking that for?????
8 hours will work just as well as 24-48 hrs.
Also, I'm not a big fan of cooking things in plastic but if it works for you more the better!

Copenhagen Forever

Actually JBD, my wife and I headed out to a kids birthday party and when we came home the pot was cold. The interrupter popped of as soon as I walked away so this cook might be over. I started it up to see if it will happen again. POGreen ran his 24/7. I guess there's more than one opinion on how long to cook. It's been cooking for 48 hours, I guess I'll call it done this time.

Copenhagen Forever

I got into some for a taste and I'm on to it now. Really good! The burly, I think did the trick. Added my ammonia, glycerin and soda in at the same time with no extra cooking and let it sit to cool. It's been in the fridge for 2 days. I got to get some more burly. Looks like WLT is out of stock for now. I noticed that there's another guy selling tobacco in the stores part of this forum but the post is so old, made me think twice about dragging it up again. I got enough dip to last me a month, so I got some time to locate more.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Good to hear. The cool thing is you are making this for your tastes and no one else. As long as you like it is all that matters.

squeezyjohn

Yeah - stock up with the WLT burley when you can get it! I haven't used it myself, but BigBonner's Burley has a really good reputation and I know people who swear by it for making snus.

Copenhagen Forever

I got 2 lbs of burly shipped today from him. Every time I walk by the fridge I take a taste of my batch #9 and I'm pleased. As time goes on it is getting better too. Other than maybe backing off on the salt a little, I think my search for the copenhagen taste is over. I might try more burly and less air cured and some different fire cured. Maybe I'll stumble on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.