Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newbie Question Something Eating My Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

stattonb

hey guys newbie to growing tobacco but i have 20 plants ready to be put into the garden, i put afew test ones out the other day and woke up to it looking like it has been smashed by pests.
I did have a coke bottle with small holes over it at night to protect from pest but im not sure whats having a dig at my plants ??

20161113_122309.jpg20161113_122313.jpg

Im in SE Qld so a sub tropical area and we are coming into summer soon so i dont want to risk putting the rest out.

Tutu

Snails maybe? I would make sure your plants are a bit larger before putting them out in the wild. Make them grow a bit bigger. You just need your plants to survive attacks by snails for the first stage of growth, later on they won't be hurt so much because of producing nicotine. But putting them in the garden when they are slightly larger will increase their survival rate from such pests during that first stage

stattonb

cool thanks for the advise i have 9 other plants that are around 20cm tall and tey have the same thing on them and i have them on my window indoors, thats what spun me out

20161113_131001.jpg20161113_131012.jpg

stattonb

yea cant figure it out was gonna plant them out in a couple days, cant atm have a typical queensland summer storm hitting lol
Well my first time so if i dont get any plants at the end lease i learnt abit of info :)

Strelok

Sometimes young grasshoppers gnaw tobacco leaves at an early age. Clear signs, though I can be mistaken.Sometimes younSometimes young grasshoppers gnaw tobacco leaves at an early age. Clear signs, though I can be mistaken.g grasshoppers gnaw tobacco leaves at an early age. Clear signs, though I can be mistaken.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Check carefully the underside of the leaves, I believe more in larvae than the snail in these cases.
It's
not uncommon that the pest is on the underside.Snails are often all over the plant and eating much of the leaf's during the night, then linger they remain on the leaves.

While the larvae usually eat their way through from the underside. Small snails and small green larvae can be difficult to see on the leaves.
-Snails do I avoid by not watering in the evenings/nights but in the morning, where I have a sun and afternoon where I have fm sol. Never water in full sun..

stattonb

checked the underleaf and nothing what gets me is the plants inside on my window have the same, it kinda looks like bite holes but it looks like cellophane uin the bite some are biten but look like cellophane is covering the bite underneath im totally puzzled, might me the heat it is hot upstairs on the window the last 3 days have been an average of 36c or 96.8F

Status
Not open for further replies.