Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Looking ahead for a 2017 grow,what have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

So, I've grown successfully for 2 seasons now and after growing what I have and have a better grasp on what grows well and what I like as far as cigar varieties. I think I might be looking for some seed to grow a little more pipe tobacco , such as aromatics ,but I'm not really sure which ones. I would also like to grow a Burley or two,to make a few of the old fashioned /tried and true pipe blends as well as some good sweet chew . Looking for some input /advice as to a few good varieties . Something about preparing for putting up the current seasons color cured leaf and waiting for the snow to start flying that makes me want to plan for next season already. I have seed to trade if need be for those looking for such a transaction. Which reminds me , I need to clean this years seed and get it bagged up . Expected high of 34 today ,good indoor project.
S.H.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would also like to grow a Burley or two,to make a few of the old fashioned /tried and true pipe blends as well as some good sweet chew .

That's a tough call. You'll probably get a 100 different responses with 200 different recommendations. For me, pipe tobacco wise I like Yellow Twist Bud. It is very mild but also makes a nice chew.

Tutu

The Amersfoort has supposedly been used in pipe blends in the Netherlands prior to the 50's for quite a long time. If you count it as a recommendation, you got 199 to go! Let me know if you want any send your way

Smokin Harley

That's a tough call. You'll probably get a 100 different responses with 200 different recommendations. For me, pipe tobacco wise I like Yellow Twist Bud. It is very mild but also makes a nice chew.

Its on my list...got any YTB seed to spare?
Hey , btw, I'm glad to see you post on this ...I bought a pressure cooker and I would like to try your cavendish method, like maybe today while its early. its a mirro-matic 4 qt . If you don't mind and have time, PM me the cliff's notes on your method.

Smokin Harley

Ok so after I posted the headliner- I looked up on what I assume is Skychasers website (Northwoodseeds.com) and went through his list of seeds and the primary uses for what I want. After the first few descriptions of the leaf ,I notice they kind of lose the primary uses .
The want list(so far)

Prilep P66-9/7
Cherry Red
Silver River
Hickory Pryor
Lizard Tail Orinoco
Harrow Velvet
Yellow Twist Bud
Bolivian Criollo Black
MD 609
Bahia
Canik

I will give Madole a regrow since the first year it didn't do very well because of where I planted it ,but lends itself to the pipe. What little I harvested was good.

Heres the thing. I don't do cigarettes . Cigars and pipe are my primary use with (long leaf...like RedMan/Levi Garrett) chew being a runner up. I chew when I'm at work simply because most places I go if I whip out a cigar or pipe ,they'd hand me a parting gift check before I got done enjoying it. Air cure is a big plus. As always , thanks for the help.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Its on my list...got any YTB seed to spare?
Hey , btw, I'm glad to see you post on this ...I bought a pressure cooker and I would like to try your cavendish method, like maybe today while its early. its a mirro-matic 4 qt . If you don't mind and have time, PM me the cliff's notes on your method.

It's actually Chinavoodoos method but here's how I make it. I just moisten shredded tobacco ( flue cured will yield a very sweet product), pack it into a jar and seal it nice and tight. Place into pressure cooker with a few ounces of water and cook for 4 to 8 hours. Then turn off cooker, let the temp return to ambient and unpack. I usually spread the tobacco out on a large plate for a day or two so it dries.

I've tried 8 hours and I've tried 4. I didn't see much of a difference between 8 and 4 so I just go with 4 hours now. As to how much water to add to your tobacco I don't know what quantity to tell you. I make mine fairly wet but not so much that water comes out of it when I squeeze it.

Smokin Harley

everything I have is air cured. Got a pot on the stove right now with 4 varieties . We'll see what happens by 1 pm.

Smokin Harley

into hour 3 of 4 . The leaf is darker . I had to add water to the jars after the first hour because some of the leaf was still too dry. Might let it go until 2 then to make up for that..

Status
Not open for further replies.